Sunday, March 7, 2010

Welcome to March!

Sean is a snowman! Bless his heart for riding his bike everyday so I can have the car!
DSC04170.f8jk5tUKgBLt.jpg
When I asked Sean what I should blog about tonight, he said: “Something controversial!” I have actually been thinking a lot lately about a pretty controversial subject: education. Since I teach Kindergarten in a public school and therefore my job quality and paycheck are a direct consequence of the Federal and State governments decisions about budgets, I feel rather close to this topic. Alpine School District has a ten million dollar deficit in next years budget and they have decided that they will just have to raise class sizes. I find it funny that an administrator sitting in a fancy office eating doughnuts (that is just how I picture them) can say that a classroom of 30 five year olds is ok. It is hard in the state of Utah because there are so many children. Not only will my classes start at 25 and likely have 30 by the end of the year, first grade classes are starting at 29, and fifth and sixth grade classes are starting at 34, I think. Crazy!! There isn’t even enough room in a classroom for that many desks! The question the administrators ask is “If not class sizes, where do you want us to take the money from?” I have no solution. I am grateful that they pay my entire insurance premium and that they provide paid sick leave and give me three months off in the summer completely paid. I think I have it pretty nice, I just wonder what the consequences will be for the kids. Aren’t they what its all about?

One more rant. What is it with charter schools? I am fine with them but I feel like the government needs to decide which system they want and use it. It drives me crazy that public and charter schools are in competition for funding.

Also, I cut five inches off my hair last week. It was a lot for me, I almost cried but restrained myself. I actually like it and am reveling in how much less time it takes to do. I do miss my long locks and can’t wait till they grow back, however this is a nice change for a bit:)

DSC04172.BX0tLZLQgENn.jpgDSC04176.un3oudcbC3Nv.jpg
I took the first picture and realized I should brush my hair so the next one has freshly brushed hair:)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sean and Jennie,
    Looks like the practical lessons from Wisconsin are paying off for Elder Peterson! He makes an adorable snowman.
    I don't know what the answer is for education either--I often wonder if things wouldn't go along just as well with fewer administrators.
    And you look so cute with your new hair cut, Jennie!! Way to go!! love, mom and dad p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks so cute! Also, careful - my controversial thoughts about education led to all kinds of controversial other thoughts. Also, people told me I didn't understand anything about education, because what do TEACHERS know about EDUCATION? Teachers are SO out of touch, and most of them don't really know what's going on, after all. (Because they're all, you know, spinsters with no kids of their own.) Sigh.
    Anyway. In closing, I like you. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new hair, and I love your husband for telling you to post something controversial. :)
    The skewed priorities in this country have always bothered me, in the fact that the people who do the most important jobs and deserve the best pay are at the bottom of the pay scale, while people who do useless (but entertaining) things for a living are at the top.

    ReplyDelete