A few weeks ago I found out that my Grandma was working on a blanket for me right before she died. I guess when she passed away she was 3/4 way finished so my Aunt Bonnie took it to finish it since my mom and I don’t have a clue how to knit (Grandma tried to teach me once, it didn’t work). Sean took his MCAT yesterday and in honor of all his hard work I took him to the Rodizio Grill for dinner. Mom and Dad Z came along and they brought the blanket. It really is amazing to receive such a beautiful gift from Grandma almost a year after her death. I feel her with me a lot and know she is aware of all we do. With our other grandparents in failing health, it gives me comfort to know death is not the end.
So, Sean is an amazingly brilliant person and I am so proud of him. He gets his MCAT score in about a month and I am pretty sure he knocked the MCAT’s socks off! He has been working so hard and I think we are both looking forward to having Saturdays without MCAT prep courses!
We had our very first wedding cake from Jennie’s SweetArt yesterday. The bride wanted a fondant cake with fondant polka dots and a fondant bow! Holy fondant batman!! Luckily Sean, who we have already established as being extremely amazing and brilliant, learned how to make marshmallow fondant out of marshmallows and powdered sugar. He spent Friday taking a final and making four different colors of fondant for the polka dots. He also helped me figure out how to make the bow about a week ago. The bow did not turn out how I wanted it to, but I learned a lot. Sean also pointed out that we are our own worst critics, especially in artistic endeavors. So here is the first cake of Jennie’s SweetArt!

Ahhh! I love the polka dots! I'm going to remember this when I have you make my wedding cake. :) (No, this is not an announcement.)
ReplyDeleteNice cake, I didn't even realize the bow was edible until you pointed it out. Also, is there a link to Sean's poster? I'd like to have a little more in-depth look at it (though I can understand if the group doesn't want to leak info until a paper gets out). Also, very sweet story about the blanket =D
ReplyDeleteIt looks beautiful Jennie! congrats! and bonus that marshmallow fondant actually tastes good unlike the regular stuff
ReplyDeleteYEA you learned how to make the marshmallow fondant! It is way yummy and the cake looks so great! Congratulations. Also I know how you feel about the blanket, I got a present for my birthday from my mom a month after she had passed away (she had ordered it to be delevered as soon as it was available) So its a very special thing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a loving reminder to have of your beloved grandmother--and what a thoughtful aunt you have to finish it for her so you can have the beautiful blanket to keep you warm as thoughts of her warm your soul. Beautiful cake--doing circles of so many different sizes had to be a challenge! Sean's poster looks great and was so interesting to read about. love, mom and dad p
ReplyDelete