Dear blog-
I have not been posting much lately and I am using the excuse that not much interesting is going on in our life right now. I always get mad when people use this excuse because i like to read about the “nothing much” going on in other peoples lives. I also like it when people comment on my blogs yet I don’t always comment on other peoples, I suppose I am a hypocrite (but aren’t we all?)
I am loving teaching still, my students are so cute and good. I gave some assessments yesterday and was a little discouraged that some of the students still don’t know the name and sound of the letters I have been teaching. They will get it though. Learning the alphabet is actually pretty hard considering you have to memorize the sound and symbol of 26 letters not to mention all the random rules and exceptions. For example why do we need the letter K? The letter C makes the hard “Ka” sound. Or maybe C should just make the soft sound and K should make the hard sound. We also learned about “n” this past week. When I asked the kids to tell me some words that start with the “n” sound they said knife, knight, and knee. What on earth is the K there for?
Sean has been playing the practicing the piano a lot and is actually going to audition to be the accompanist for Men’s Chorus. He would be so amazing at it. It is a pretty demanding position though so I am not sure if Sister Hall the instructor will be ok with him missing a few times for interviews and every Wednesday since he has class. His audition is Monday so we will keep you posted.
We babysat Kaitlyn the other night and she was helping Uncle Sean play some Jack Johnson tunes. I asked him to play a Kaitlyn song and he busted out this adorable melody for her, it is call Kaitlyn’s theme and fits her little personality to a tee.
Brandon and Michal had their beautiful baby girl last week. She was 5 weeks early and other than some jaundice she is doing pretty well. She is so cute and they named her Brielle which fits her perfectly. It’s hard to have a new niece and not get to hold her.
Remember how I was really trying to lose some weight? Guess what, I have lost about 5 pounds! Yay!!! I wore a pedometer to work for a few days and I walk an average of 4 miles a day around my school and classroom, no wonder I’m tired after work.
We went to a Sitar concert this past week which was educational and cultural and really really long. Sean really enjoyed the music but I think he felt like 2 1/2 hours was a little long for improvisation on the sitar. I am not nearly as cultural and didn’t care for it too much but I will admit that Nishat Khan has some mad Sitar skillz:)
The other morning Sean and I pulled out our giant Costco package of toothbrushes and ripped out some new ones. I cannot even express the joy I feel in having a brand new and very pretty pink toothbrush. I am surprised at how happy it makes me.
Summer-part 2
4 days ago

I like commenting when others have gone to so much work--so thank you for this opportunity! English does have lots of strange things with letters and sounds. Darrell told me they never have spelling bees in Germany because all their words are spelled just like they sound. Maybe Benjamin Franklin was correct in trying to make German our national language. Glad to hear about the lost weight!--I can also recommend visiting Eric in NY as another way to shed a few pounds. Wish I could have heard Kaitlyn's theme--bet it was lots of fun! And I'm sure the guys in our lives appreciate knowing someone who actually wants the pink toothbrushes in the package! love, mom p
ReplyDeleteCommenting! I had so much fun last night, I miss just being with you. And the reason for the K? It looks so much cuter on the front of my little one's name: Caitlyn vs Kaitlyn. N'est pas?
ReplyDeleteamen on the hypocrite thing ;) although i made goals, i still find myself shirking on comment making. glad you're still enjoying school. i was watching a sit com about a cop and a teacher, and the cop asks the teacher why she wanted to be a teacher (loud class noises in background) and she says "...i don't remember..."
ReplyDeleteOh, i forgot to ask you how your niece's costume turned out!
(Read the following with a very sophisticated tone) I believe the reason for the letter K is more for reading than sounding out. It helps to differentiate between words that sound exactly the same but have different meaning, for example: Knight & Night. Who would Know (not now) that the night coming rescued you from the Sun (again not son) instead of the Knight in Shining Amour ( I hope your smiling b/c this is meant to be funny). hehe
ReplyDeleteI understand the whole not leaving a comment thing. Sometimes you don't have much to add to what has already been said and you don't want to write another, "that's darling" or "so cute" to the other 5 or so comments.
Anyway, just so you know, I was excited to see a new post and to read about your day to day life!