My grandfather has been sick for a long time. Over the last three years he was diagnosed with dementia and later Alzheimer’s. My grandmother has stood by his side through everything and taken care of his every need. She made it possible for him to stay in his home until he passed away last Thursday.
Sean and I were planning to go up to Utah for Sean’s fall break and it became a huge blessing as we kept hearing how grandpa was likely to pass away. They actually thought he would go the weekend before we got there but he waited until my sister and I came in from out of town. We arrived at midnight on Wednesday after Sean finished his finals that morning and went straight in to see my grandpa on Thursday morning. He was asleep and taking 8-10 deep breaths every few minutes with long pauses in between. He was handsome as ever to me and I just wished I could have heard him laugh. He passed away at 4 that afternoon in the arms of my grandma with my dad and uncle right beside him. I am so grateful I got to say goodbye.
It was perhaps the most heart wrenching thing I have ever seen to watch my grandma sob beside her husband. I never really thought of Grandma and Grandpa as being in love but watching her care for him the last few years and seeing her distress at losing him showed me what true love is. Love means serving people and helping them. Love is more than hearts and flowers at valentines or diamonds at Christmas. Its even more than love notes and snuggling. Its kneeling across an alter and promising to love and cherish someone forever. Its putting on their shoes for them and combing their hair. Its holding their hand through every moment of hardship and trial. My grandparents have taught me a lot about love and family throughout my life and the lessons of Christlike love and service in the last few years have testified of their love and devotion to each other.
We had a viewing on Sunday night. There were so many flowers, more than I have ever seen at a funeral and people poured into the church for hours to pay their respects. Sean, Brett, and I arrived about a half hour before the official viewing began and as I stood over grandpa’s casket I felt like he was putting his arm around me. I felt his spirit so much stronger than I even have in the last few years. He was there and the room was full of people from the other side of the veil. What a sacred experience it is to be near when someone passes from this life to the next. The veil is so thin at these times.
On Monday morning we had a funeral at the church and it was perfect. My dad and uncle spoke and all the grandkids sang Families Can be Together Forever. We drove up to the cemetery and there were deer resting between the headstones and the trees were beautiful, it was perfect weather. My cousin dedicated the grave and another cousin folded the flag.
I am so so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ which allows us to be sealed together as families. Marriage in the temple allows our families to be bound together after this life. I will be with my grandpa forever and my grandma will be reunited with her sweet husband. What a glorious merciful Heavenly Father that has provided a way for us to be with the ones we love after this life.
If you are interested in learning more about eternal families visit: http://www.lds.org/topics/temples?lang=eng

No comments:
Post a Comment