Monday, February 27, 2017

The rest of February

The week before Valentines Day, we put on a fun card making and cookie decorating activity for the Relief Society sisters.  Sean had already signed up to do night clinic and we didn't want him to have to cancel on all those patients.  Earlier that day I went in to see my Grandma who had fallen the night before (luckily my aunt and uncle were spending the night because she had been feeling so lousy and my parents and aunt and uncle had decided to stay with her for awhile).  She was still on her couch and was really with it and happy to see us.  The kids talked to her and told her about their books they'd gotten with her Christmas gift cards.  She told me she really wanted to see Sean so I told her we would be in on Friday night to see her.  I was hesitant to even go to the activity that night because I mostly wanted to be with my family, but I didn't want to dump all the work on my committee.  Brett, Alana, and Lizzie came with me and helped set everything up.  Night clinic usually goes till 7:30 and the activity started at 7, so I figured it would work out great for Sean to just come grab the kids, then I could get everything cleaned up after that.  Unfortunately, Sean didn't get off till 9:30!  Our poor kids were so tired and sad, but we got everything cleaned up and I got them home and in bed=)  The activity was lovely and a lot of the women really enjoyed it!  
Brett always asks to have tissues on his shelf, just in case!  
The kids and I went in to see Grandma on Friday morning.  She was awake and in her hospital bed, but she had lost the use of her legs.  We got to talk with her a little but she was really hurting and very tired.  Later that night we grabbed a pizza and headed in to see Grandma because Sean still hadn't had a chance to see her.  She was in a really deep sleep.  My cousin Danny, cousin Andy and his family, and Great Great Aunt Lucille were there to see her.  The kids just watched a movie in the back room as they were now afraid to go in the family room where Grandma was.   The hospital bed was scary to them as well as Grandma who was just declining so quickly! We ended up needing to leave to get the kids to bed, but later that night she woke up and was able to talk with Aunt Lucille and my cousin Danny.  
On Saturday, Sean took Brett and Alana to see the Lego Batman movie.  I went to the store to get some food then headed in to my grandmas with Lizzie.  She was awake and very talkative, although she would sometimes be with it and sometimes be really confused.  She was asking for Sean so I texted him to come over when the movie was done.  Sean came out and got to talk with Grandma.  She wanted him to explain what was happening with her body and basically tell her how much longer she had to be here before she could die.  She was so emotional and sad and hurting!  It was really difficult to see her that way and we were only there a fraction of the time.  My parents and Aunt and Uncle were there 24 hours a day caring for her.
We left so we could get home and have some time to play and be in our own home.  Later that afternoon my sister and cousin Zach arrived to see grandma.  
Since my sister had drove down from Idaho we drove out to my parents house that night to see her.  She brought Valentine treats for the kids and we had a nice visit with her.  
On Sunday morning Sean got to snuggle with the kids and I for a few minutes and it was heavenly!  
We left after the first 2 hours of church and went in to see Grandma.  She was really agitated and not doing well at all!  My mom was trying to give her some medicine for her anxiety but she was refusing to take it!  I guess Sean was able to convince her, but even that medicine didn't help a ton.  She did finally get into a get rest that afternoon.  We went home just before dinner.  
Brett had no school on Monday so we made a playdate with my dear friend Whitney.  We had a parent teacher conference with Brett's teacher at 10:30.  He is doing so well!  I just love seeing him light up when she mentions all his achievements and shows off his writing samples.  
Lizzie getting into things she's not supposed to
Brett trying on my shoes
Alana being a goof ball
Brett's art work in the hallway of his school
Before we went down to Provo to see my friend, we stopped in at Grandmas.  She was really agitated and was afraid of me.  Finally she remembered who I was but was trying so hard to get everything off her.  She called to me right before I left to tell me that she was covered in mashed potatoes and that I needed to get her cleaned up.  I told her I would of course help her get her blanket cleaned, so I took that one off and gave her another.  Then I gave her a kiss before I left.  
We met Whitney, Kirsten, and Reagan at the University mall to play and get a treat.  It was so fun to see her and her cute belly (her new baby is due to arrive at the beginning of March)
On Monday night Sean and I got everything set up for the kids valentines.  We gave them special cards, lot of candy and a fun stuffed animal.  Sean and I had planned to go to the Roof restaurant for Valentines Day.  My parents were going to babysit and watch Trolls, but with everything going on we canceled our reservation.  

 My Valentines were all pretty cute!


 I made a quick sight word, letter heart game the kids enjoyed.
We dropped off Brett at school, then I took the girls to my friend Cami's house.  She watched them there while I went to Brett's school to help with his party.  I quickly ran to the store, then back to get the girls.  We left Cami's to get Brett from school.  While I was pulling up to his school I got a call from my mom that Grandma had just passed away.  It was a very sad moment, especially because my Mom was saying how horribly in pain she was.  I was so sad and also relieved that she didn't have to suffer any more.  I told the kids what had happened and then called Sean.  I let the kids know that our evening plans needed to change.  I called my VT who kindly watched all 3 kiddos while Sean and I ran out to Grandma's house.  She passed away around 3:40, but my wonderful family waited to call the mortuary till Sean and I could arrive.  I had a hard time that night.  Her body looked at peace though and I was grateful!  We stayed for a bit, then left when the mortuary got there.  
Sean started hospital service on Wednesday, so the kids and I had our Valentine pizza a day late =) 

 I was put in charge on making the slideshow and the night before the viewing we were up really late getting it in the right format!
 Mom and Dad P sent us some beautiful flowers!
 The ladies on my activities committee brought me some African violets and lemon cakes
 Sean bought me valentines flowers =)

The viewing was on Friday night.  I went in to my Grandmas house after picking Brett up from his early day at school.  One of my Grandma's dearest wishes was that the Relief Society not be asked to provide a luncheon for the funeral.  The Relief Society still wanted to do something so they brought a sandwich and salad meal for our family to eat before the viewing.  I was worried about being in her home for the first time with her not there.  It was really strange and felt odd, but it was good to be around so much family.  The kids and I ate and visited then went out to my mom and dad's house.  My mom had gotten one of the neighbor girls to watch the kids for us during the viewing.  I dropped them off and got everything set up, got changed into dress things, then headed back in to Salt Lake for the viewing.  Sean was on service till 7, I gave him a call and he felt like things were tidied up enough that he could take off, so I picked him up on my way to the mortuary.  He had to take a few calls and do sign out while we were there, but I was so so grateful to have him by my side!  The viewing was beautiful.  My mom and Linda had taken care of dressing, putting makeup and nail polish on, and doing Grandma's hair.  They did a beautiful job and Grandma's body looked so peaceful!  Sean and I were very grateful to not have to explain to the kids about embalming and such.  So so many people came and so many people stayed!  They had the slideshow I made playing and so much of the family just hung out and watched and talked about all the wonderful memories!
Sean and I went out to my parents after the viewing was over and visited with Jared, Sam, and Kaity and my parents for a bit, then we snatched our kiddos out of their beds and took them home to their own beds.  
The funeral was also at the mortuary.  Sam and Jared dropped off Kaity so she could be babysat with our kids.  My sweet friend Cami came to watch them.  We arrived in time for our final goodbyes and family prayer, then had the funeral.  It was a wonderful service filled with so many memories and many testimonies of Eternal Families.  All 6 of us grandkids spoke and then my Mom and Aunt Linda and then Uncle Steve and Dad.  Sean performed a beautiful arrangement of Be Still My Soul and says he hasn't played that well since the Concerto competition in High School.  I hope Grandma could hear it!  
There were beautiful flowers on the car that took her to the cemetery
 We got a picture with all the grandkids.  We are all so different yet she loved us all and we all felt like we were the favorite!

 After the graveside service we all got some lunch then went into Grandma's house.  Everyone was allowed to pick a few things that we wanted from the home.  It felt really strange and I didn't like it at first, but when I thought about it more I realized they were her things, but she doesn't need them anymore and she would want her family to have them.

 Brett, Alana, and Kaity jamming out to Moana when I picked them up after the funeral.
Our house is filling up with tons of things from Grandma!  One of them was her bigger TV, which we are all greatly enjoying!  
 Neil found one of the NES mini's for us, I gave it to Sean for Valentines day and we've all enjoyed it greatly!
 We took a game box from grandmas with so many fun games like these huge checkers

Things are getting a little back to normal now, although we have been helping to clean out the house and Sean has still been so so busy on service.  Alana is excitedly preparing for her showcase performance at the end of March in her tumbling class.

 Brett is obsessed with strawberries.  I dropped one the other night while making dinner and it occupied this little one for at least 10 minutes!
We were invited to a wedding on Friday night and went as soon as Sean got off work.  We told the kids it was almost bedtime so we would only stay for 20 min.  We stayed for over an hour dancing, laughing and playing.  We left just before 9.  I caught this awesome picture of my parents dancing:

 On Saturday we went in to the house with tons of other family to help clear out.  We took tons to the DI.  Everyone is taking some of the furniture and we even gave some to my friend Melanie.  Its amazing how much stuff is in this house!  My grandparents lived there for over 50 years.  They bought it brand new for $9999 and made $46 mortgage payments on it.  I hope Grandma would be proud of how all her kids and grandkids, and great grandkids are working together.  I just wish she were there to boss us all around!  




 Lizzie found the art cupboard
 My Dad's birthday is today.  We had a special birthday dinner for him yesterday with roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, rolls, and chocolate cake.  The kids and I made the cake from scratch and put a yummy cream cheese chocolate frosting on it.  I made the mickey's on top with cake mixed with frosting like you would for cake balls and then froze them for a bit to make them more solid.





No comments:

Post a Comment