I love to bike. I feel in touch with the world as I go to get to school, to get groceries, or to get to nowhere in particular. Also, it's a lot faster than walking when I don't have a car (i.e. most of the time).
Our city has a lot of bikers, mostly students (especially in our part of town). The trouble is that they don't seem to know how to take care of their bikes. Everywhere I see flat tires, rusty gears, failing brakes...you name it.
I just got my bike tuned up today, and it is so refreshing to have it back. It looks brand new, and rides much better now. It reminded me of my first day in Wisconsin, when I unpacked my bike and hurried out the door. My companion definitely had a bigger build than me, and I should have been able to outstrip him easily as we headed to our appointment, but for some reason I was lagging way behind, terribly out of breath.
What was wrong with me? Flat tires. I hadn't filled them up enough, and so I was working so many times harder and getting nothing out of it but exhaustion. A quick pumping up and I was good to go. It's surprising what just a little maintenance will do, but it's just so much work...
So the thought continues to wander through my mind. If just a little change will fix so much, why put it off? Why do we ride on flat tires?
Summer-part 2
1 month ago

Hi Sweetie,
ReplyDeleteI'd forgotten the story about your first bike ride in Wisconsin! It's certainly a good one for making a point about all kinds of things, isn't it? I'm glad you're able to ride again and enjoy nature along the way.
Love, Mom