Sunday, April 3, 2011

We are artists=)

Sean has been pursuing his artistic side of late. He has always wanted to draw and paint. Here is an example of one of his first artistic endeavors:

Squiggle man from elementary school. Undoubtedly one of the greatest superheroes of our time.
IMG_0110-cropped-2011-04-3-12-18.jpg

For Christmas I got Sean a set of oil paints and some instructions from THE painting guru Bob Ross. Below is Sean’s rendition of Brother Ross’ painting instructions. Sean has named it “A Landscape by the Artist as a Young Man.” (Sean says: at the rate it takes me to actually get out the paints and make some art, the next painting is likely to be called “A Landscape by the Artist as an Old Man.”)
IMG_0105-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG
(Sean adds: What’s with that patch of yellow in the middle of the forest? Is it an alien ship just landing? A forest fire? Both? You decide.)

In other news, we have decided to name our little guy Brett, after my older brother who passed away just after his birth. We are still debating a middle name. I have also been thinking a lot about how I want to decorate for our little guy. I have never considered boy stuff before so I am having so so much fun! I am really liking the idea of dinosaurs, so I believe that will be part of the nursery theme anyway. Since we are moving in July, I don’t really want to buy anything until we get to New Mexico because I don’t want to have to move it. I did get pretty ambitious though and decided to hand applique and quilt a wall hanging for baby Brett’s room. I figure it will take me a long time so that should keep me well occupied until it is time to buy more baby stuff.
We went up to Mom and Dad Z’s on Friday night to shop for fabric. Mom Z helped Sean and I buy the right amounts of fabric. She also helped me cut out and showed me how to do the stitching. I forgot how much fun it can be to sew! Thanks Mama Z!!

Here is the rough draft that I drew with some scrap booking stencils:
IMG_0133-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG

Here is the fabric:
IMG_0135-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG

We went to Office Max to have the pattern enlarged and they told us it would cost $60! We decided to go with pencils and our own artistic abilities. I drew the stegasaurus, the tree, and the cloud. Sean did the brontosaurus and the sun. Here is the full size pattern we made:
IMG_0134-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG

We also went to Old Navy yesterday and found these adorable hats:
IMG_0136-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG
I can’t stand how adorable the little ears are!
Here’s Brett trying one on:
IMG_0138-2011-04-3-12-18.JPG
This fun shirt is compliments of Sam who spoils me! I thought it was a funny shirt=)

3 comments:

  1. I love your little ticker counting down along with how the baby is growing--and your shirt is great! My vote is for an alien ship landing--ET coming back for a visit. The hats with ears are so cute! and your appliqued dinosaurs are going to be adorable--great fabric colors and designs! Mom Z is so talented! and Squiggle Man is a hero for our time!
    love, mom p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Squiggle Man is freakin hilarious! I think he should have some Continuing Adventures. Is that picture from a legit elem school drawing??

    Impressed by your painting Sean--haha the random yellow glow is awesome. What was the original idea there? I personally like the idea of a forest fire set off by an alien craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed by your artistic abilities! The painting looks awesome and the wall hanging will be so cute. Maybe Brett will be an artist too :)

    ReplyDelete