Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Saving $$$$

Since we’re on a tight budget here we have been trying lots of things to save money. First, I try to make our food from scratch rather than buying anything prepackaged and we try to only eat out once every two weeks. My most recent project is wheat bread. I have tried several recipes and haven’t been able to find one that would rise enough especially since we are using freshly ground wheat. They were all delicious, but rather dense. A sweet couple from Mom and Dad P’s ward gave us a recipe which we tried on Sunday and it rose up so beautifully! It is absolutely delicious and I even substituted the oil for applesauce so the bread is fat free and full of fiber. Yum!!
Second, since we get our loan in one big chunk, we pay all our rent 6 months in advance. Every month if you pay early you get entered into a contest to get money taken off your rent. We won this week and get to take $100 off our rent for January=) Yay!
Lastly we have been thinking about doing cloth diapers for a long time. I like the idea not only because it will save us about $500 a year (the first year we will still save but not quite as much since we have to purchase all the diapers which are rather pricey), but also because it is so much better for the environment. The best part about investing in cloth diapers is that once we break even this first year with Brett, we will save on all our future kiddos. I bought three bungenius diapers and am going to try them before I order the other 18, just to make sure I don’t absolutely hate it. Another fantastic benefit of cloth diapers is that they are absolutely adorable!
PastedGraphic-2011-12-6-10-30.jpg
(ours will be blue and green rather than purple and I think I like the velcro better than the snaps)
Brett is getting excited for Christmas and he loves the lights on the tree=)
IMG_1650-2011-12-6-10-30.JPG

Here’s the delicious wheat bread recipe if you are interested=)
Fool Proof Whole Wheat Bread

5 1/2 cups hot water
8 cups freshly ground wheat flour
1 T salt
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup brown sugar (or white or honey...whatever you have on hand)
2 T yeast
4 to 6 more cups of flour

Pour the hot water in a mixer (I use bosch.  You might be able to use kitchen aid if you cut the recipe in half.  Doing it by hand is also an option.).  Add the freshly ground flour (8 cups), the salt, sugar, oil, and yeast.  The reason I add in this order is to let the water cool down just a touch before the yeast touches it.  It should NOT be luke warm...warmer is better, but scalding hot will kill the yeast.  Mix.  Gradually add the remaining flour until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.  Let mix for 10 minutes.

Let stand still for 10 minutes while you grease the bread pans (any shape or size).  Shape the loaves and place in the pans.  Turn on the oven to 350.  Let the dough rise in the pans on the stove-top that will be getting warm just while the oven is heating up (about 10 to 15 minutes).  Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

( I did half the recipe and it made two big loafs)

6 comments:

  1. Yay for winning a contest, that's awesome! And I think the cloth diapers are fantastic, too. I'm definitely planning on trying them out when I have my own. Homemade bread is so delicious and I am now craving it. Is this recipe light enough for sandwiches? Because that's always my problem, I love sandwiches and homemade bread is usually too dense. Either way I will probably try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's light enough for sandwiches but nice and hearty so it fills your up=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear with cloth diapers they have to wear bigger sized pants. ; ) I honestly would never go cloth, but good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that does sound like delicious bread. you make the economical and ecological lifestyle look easy! I love your Santa Baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Thanks for posting the recipe! Have I mentioned you are awesome cause you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You needed to talk to me about bread girl!!! I have tons of fool proof recipies for both white and wheat email me and elt me know what you are doing right now (as this post is a bit old) and I will fill you in!

    ReplyDelete