Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sleep and V-Day

Our Valentine celebration went off quite well. Brett and I gave Sean this fun picture:


IMG_1966-2012-02-16-14-38.JPG


with the poem “These shoes are too big for me as you can plainly see. But even when I’m grown, they’ll still be big on me. The reason is quite simple, and I’m sure you’ll agree. No one can fill these shoes, quite like my Daddy.” We also gave him the new Sherlock Holmes soundtrack, a card, and some m&m’s. Sean brought me home some beautiful flowers and a card. I have already been enjoying my new kitchenAid=) Here is our festive table:


IMG_2104-2012-02-16-14-38.JPG


And our delicious dinner of top sirloin with a blackberry shallot reduction--so so good! We also had strawberry/blackberry yogurt smoothies. IMG_2108-2012-02-16-14-38.JPG


We had a romantic fire in our fireplace which was a lot of fun! Brett especially loved the fire, he thinks its always fun when we eat picnic style in the front room.


IMG_2110-2012-02-16-14-38.JPG



I recently read a book called Secrets of the Baby Whisperer which was fantastic! I highly recommend it to anyone who spends time with babies. I felt like it had so much great information about listening to your child and helping them get on a schedule. I have felt like Brett has thrived up till a few weeks ago when he started refusing to take naps. I have always nursed him to sleep and it seemed to work fine, but suddenly that wasn’t working anymore so I spent some time researching different sleep training methods and praying about it. I felt like Brett wouldn’t respond well to the Crying it Out method and that he needed Sean or I by his side while he learned how to fall asleep on his own. I basically put him in his bed and sit next to the crib with him , when he cries I pat him gently and tell him it will be alright. There have been a few times he has gotten too upset and I just pick him up and calm him and then put him right back in his bed. He has done really really well. We started this about two weeks ago and today I have put him in his crib 3 times (he still usually takes 30 minute naps) to take a nap. Each time he has gone to sleep without crying and without me in his sight (I moved the chair away from his bed). Some days have been easy, like today, and others have taken a lot of patience, but I think he is getting more sleep and is certainly a lot happier.



2 comments:

  1. What a sweet and loving Valentine's celebration! Love Brett in the shoes and your dinner sounds yummy (you'll need to share the recipe) and the decorations (M&M's) inspired! And your reading and praying sound like a reasonable and wonderful way to approach difficulties--see what you can find out and then pray about the impressions you receive. Brett has reason to smile like he does! love, mom p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Brett's shoe photo would also go well with--"I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two!"

    ReplyDelete