Friday, September 7, 2012

Together Forever

On Tuesday we had the most wonderful opportunity to go to Sean’s grandmother’s (Mer) funeral. A few weeks ago we went down to El Paso to see her when she was moving from an assisted care center to a nursing home. We are both so glad we were able to see her and introduce Brett to her. She was an amazing woman and I have learned so many great things about her since she passed. She was an extremely hard-working woman who loved education and family. She married when she was 17, had 4 children, helped her husband run a motel and gas station, managed several rental properties, went to college when her youngest was 8, graduated with honors, taught school for 10 years (I think), and served a mission in Costa Rica. She was always trying to learn more! Its really inspiring when you go visit an 80 year old woman who is reading encyclopedias because she has such a hunger for knowledge. I was grateful to know her and can’t wait to meet her again after this life.


We left home at 4 AM on Tuesday and drove the 4 1/2 hours to El Paso. Brett slept for 3 of those and I slept for 2. Sean is an amazing husband and father to drive his tired family when he’s exhausted himself. We arrived in time for the viewing and spent some sweet moments saying our goodbyes and showing Brett the beautiful flowers on the casket. Mer’s favorite song was You are My Sunshine and the ribbon on her flowers said You are my Sunshine, they were also yellow and cheerful and happy! I got to meet Sean’s Aunt Diane and two more of his cousins. Sean has five girl cousins that grew up in El Paso and apparently Sean’s family of five boys had a great time when the families got together. A friend of the family came and opened the nursery so the little kids could play while the adults went to the funeral. I actually left Brett there and was so proud of my over-protective self! He only lasted about 20 minutes, but I still got to enjoy most of the service from the foyer (thank heaven for i-pads and movies!)


The funeral was one of the most beautiful I have ever attended. As I walked into the room I was struck with the most amazingly sweet spirit. It was very apparent that the chapel was packed with spirits from the other side. Sean said the opening prayer, performed a Bach piece that Mer would have loved, and got to be a pall bearer (not sure how to spell that). All 4 of Mer’s children gave beautiful talks and Dad P gave a wonderful Eulogy.


I was struck with the beauty of the Plan of Salvation and how wonderful it is to know that we will be together forever. Mer was madly in love with her husband and will be with him for all Eternity! I am so grateful for Temple covenants that allow us to be with our loved ones forever.



Here is Sean helping his great Aunt Margie to the car.


Brett fell asleep on the way to the cemetery:


Playing on the gym floor at the luncheon:




We got back home about 8:30 PM and Brett did a great job in the car. He only broke down the last half hour, which is pretty impressive since he had a super crazy day and he was so so tired. We were so glad we got to go! We are also grateful for the tender mercies that have allowed Sean to already be caught up from missing a test and a day of school!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you were able to go to Mer's funeral, I know it ment alot to both of you! always keep the good memories alive for Brett, and his love for his family.

    Love,
    Mom Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so glad you could come too! Sean's music always has a comforting influence on me and is beautiful to listen to. You and Brett were fun to watch--he crawling around and you going after him. I love how he laughs with you and is so sweet. What a wonderful family!! thanks for your sacrifice and that Sean is caught up already-- love, mom p

    ReplyDelete