Life has been busy and fun lately! Sean started his surgery rotation which hasn’t been terrible. We debated long and hard as to whether he should do this rotation now or if he should put it off till next May. I had been feeling a lot of back pain and pressure and we were a little worried Lady Lana would be arriving early. We also understand this is a really time intensive rotation and we felt a little nervous about that. I was especially worried about Sean getting enough sleep since he has to be up to round so early. With a newborn and a 2 year old who still requires occasional visits to fix blankets and soothe fears at night, I will need some help. We prayed about it and both felt like it was a good idea to continue on. Sean will get to take off 3 days plus he gets Thanksgiving and the Friday after off. He can take any additional days needed, but he will have to make them up later. This is way way way more time than he took off with Brett, in fact he didn’t even miss 1 class when Brett was born so we feel like this is the lottery! We will also have lots of help from my parents and perhaps sister who will be coming and Mom and Dad P. After being worried that Lana would come early, now I am fearing that she will come late. Oh well, she’ll come when she comes =)
I am now 38 weeks pregnant! 14 days to go! Alana still wiggles a lot and I love to watch my belly move. Sometimes I feel like she is going to push herself out all by herself though, some of those jabs are pretty painful! My mom always used to say we used her bladder as a trampoline when we were inside her and Alana has truly shown me what that feels like! Brett is really excited for DeeLana as he calls her. I actually think he understands quite a bit about what is going on. My appetite has decreased a lot (except for brownies and cake) and I haven’t really been cooking much lately. We’ve been having really simple meals which has helped me to rest a little more. We have around 10 frozen meals so far and I am hoping to add a few more, we’ll just see if I feel up to it. I think i’ve gained about 25 lbs, and I am hoping it comes off quickly and easily like it did after I had Brett. I can’t really think of any other updates on the pregnancy. We are pretty much as ready as can be for her to come so now we just wait.
Here is a terrible selfie of my 38 week bump taken through a dirty mirror.
The first week of surgery included tons of lectures and workshops. Sean put in tons of study hours and got to practice up on his suturing skills in the evenings.
This past week he has been working on the trauma team. It was a crazy week where he would work all day, come home and eat and play with Brett for a little bit, then study until bedtime. It has been a week that makes us grateful that Sean hasn’t needed to study at home near as much as we thought he might throughout 3rd year and medical school in general.
Brett has been learning all kinds of new things. He loves to ask us “s’called” (what’s it called). I learn all kinds of new things from his questions although sometimes I simply don’t know what everything is called. He has also learned how to use the word “no!” like a toddler and I kinda thinks its hilarious. I have also started trying to integrate a curriculum with him since he seems to get bored sometimes during the day. Last week we learned about the letter M and about apple picking. I think Brett’s favorite activity was watching some youtube videos on apple picking then looking for hidden paper apples in his room. We later glued the paper apples onto a construction paper tree. I even learned that every apple tree that is planted is grafted. You can’t just plant the seed because it will be a mutation of the apple. So they graft each new tree, fascinating! This next week we will be learning about the letter A and about family and pets and Thanksgiving. It should be fun.
Brett found these bunny ears from easter in a bin and he was so excited to wear a headband like Mommy:
A super fun development has been Brett’s love of this little stuffed monkey!
He has never had much interest in stuffed animals, but this week when we were playing doctor with an old stethoscope I though it might be fun to practice on some animals. Brett pulled out this monkey and they have been inseparable for days. Monkey loves to go everywhere with us and even gets to share Brett’s pillow at night. It’s adorable!
Brett has been fighting a tiny little cold. This morning he wasn’t feeling great, Sean had to work, and I needed to get ready for 9AM church, so Brett snuggled up in my bed with a primary songs app.
After some dimatap he was feeling much better and insisted that he get to go to nursery. We’ve come a long way from the screaming child who hated to be left there without Mom and Dad!

Can't wait to see little Lana!!!! Good luck to Sean!
ReplyDeleteMy appetite for brownies and cake is always undiminished too! Brett looks so cute with his little monkey--maybe he thinks he's Dr. Ted as he checks him out with the stethoscope =-)
ReplyDeleteAw, you guys are too cute! What is the curriculum you use with Brett? I've been thinking of doing something like that with Adam... And good luck with the birth and everything!
ReplyDeleteMarci- I just use a modified version of what I made up for my kindergarteners. I will e-mail it to you =)
Delete