Monday, April 7, 2014

Summer Surprise!

My birthday is in December. My sister’s birthday is also in December. There were no other kids in my house growing up. December was a giant present fiesta! The other months of the year would often seem a little dry present wise according to my 8 year old spoiled self, lol. My parents loved my sister and I and they were always looking for excuses to buy us things and make us smile. So since we didn’t have birthdays to bring large gifts in the spring/summer my mom invented the summer surprise. Sometimes it was huge like the year we got a basketball hoop and sometimes it was something small like marbles or chalk. It was always fun though!

Before I had kids I was often critical of how much stuff parents would buy for their kids. If my pre-kid self could see me now she would be appalled =) I feel saddest about being ridiculously poor and living off loans when I can’t buy my kids all the things in the world! The good thing about this part of myself is that it is small and is very well controlled. I usually am able to talk myself out of buying lots of things and I do my best to remember that Brett and Alana will love the time we spend together a lot more than the stuff they have.

Sometimes I can’t resist buying Brett a sandbox though...

IMG_2152-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

IMG_2153-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

Mom and Dad P. came for conference Sunday and brought down sample of their new kitchen! It is so fun to see all the beautiful materials together!

IMG_2162-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

I swear I clip her fingernails 2x a week and she still manages to get scratches on her little face!

IMG_2168-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

She has rolled over several times in the last few days! Go Alana!

IMG_2169-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

Reading books with Mimi is always a wonderful thing to do!

IMG_2177-2014-04-7-13-34.jpg

Alana tried solids...yuck!

IMG_2105-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

IMG_2107-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

Someday I will buy her a pink or purple towel =)

IMG_2086-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

Rough housing before bed:

IMG_2129-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

new mustache pajamas

IMG_2143-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

New prison pajamas (Brett was insistent that he liked these ones)

IMG_2088-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

IMG_2124-2014-04-7-13-34.jpg

IMG_2117-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

IMG_2103-2014-04-7-13-34.jpg

IMG_2179-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

Sean had to work on Saturday. Brett kept busy while I watched the first session of conference:

IMG_2096-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

IMG_2094-2014-04-7-13-34.JPG

2 comments:

  1. I agree, memories will be more special and last a lot longer than "stuff." But it is still fun to buy things occasionally. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have so many fond memories of the kids playing with daddy before bedtime! doesn't get any better than that

    ReplyDelete