Thursday, September 10, 2015

Well Child Checks & Baby #3

I took the kids in for some well child checks this week. Alana is now 21 1/2 months (I was painfully late for her 18 month because of the move) and Brett is 4. I found a doctor really close to our house and I was so pleased with him! He did a great job at talking with the kids and going through all the developmental stuff. He is a family doctor and I don’t know if that was the difference, but he spent so much more time with us than their old pediatrician ever did. Alana is growing so well! She is 34 inches tall and about 25 pounds (she wasn’t a big fan of the scale so we had a rough time getting a good measure. She is 70th percentile for height and 60th for weight. She had to get 2 shots and was pretty livid about it, poor thing! She has also had a chronic case of diarrhea for 3 months and the doctor wants to do some tests to see if we can figure out why. Of course I got the sample right in that day, but the lab assistant accidentally gave me the container for a different lab, so I will need to do another sample =( Yuck! I thought it was funny though that she asked if I wanted extra gloves, I’ve been changing her poopy diapers for 21 1/2 months without gloves =) She is healthy and happy and sweet as ever, although I am starting to see her 2 year old self peek through a little more every day! When she was screaming while getting her shot, I also saw she is getting one of her 2 year old molars, she won’t let me check the others. One of my favorite things she does right now is points and Sean or I and says “Me Me Me”, meaning she want us to do something with her and she has heard us say “You want me to do that?” Brett was so pleased to be getting a check up! He walked right in and got his height and weight. He is 43 inches tall and 38 pounds, which puts in the 97th percentile for height and 70th for weight. Tall skinny kid! He loved getting his blood pressure taken and laughed when they took his temperature and checked his ears. He loved the nurse and the doctor. The doctor spent a lot of time talking with Brett about what he eats (encouraging the fruits and veggies), talking with him about wearing his seatbelt and not playing in the street. He also had to do a little pelvic exam and did a great job at talking with Brett about when its appropriate for him to undress in front of others. At first we told Brett no shots till next year, then we decided to do flu shots. Brett was really really brave and only cried a little. He got a laughy taffy for his pain =) We had a flood in the basement a couple Sundays ago and we thought we might need to get Brett a new bed since his old one is pretty hashed from the move and then the water didn’t help much. We went bunkbed shopping one day and Brett and Alana love the idea! We ended up being able to use his bed, but bunkbeds are still probably on the horizon =)
  IMG_3284-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
IMG_3286-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
Alana has suddenly decided that she wants to use the big girl swings. She looks so grown up and cute in the swing. She also loves to wear her little backpack especially when Brett goes to school.
  IMG_3297-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
Brett started preschool last week and is loving it! He goes MWF for 2 hours to a lady in our neighborhood. He is so brave and really enjoys having a responsibility of his own.
  IMG_1454-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
My mom had a birthday this week, so we celebrated all last weekend. We went to a Teppanyaki grill on Saturday night. The food was delicious and the show was so fun. Brett and Alana loved the show, although it was really scary to have the fire at first for Brett.
  IMG_3299-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
IMG_3303-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
On Sunday the kids helped me make a roast with potatoes and rolls. We had cake after dinner.
  IMG_3314-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
IMG_3318-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG

IMG_3322-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG

IMG_3330-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
Since Sean is on the inservice right now, he had to work on Monday. My mom and dad had the day off so we went to Kohles then to the hospital to see Dr. Peterson’s office and to eat lunch with him. Papa and Mimi gave Brett some little golden books of all the Star Wars stories, and he has been obsessed since. He wants to be Luke Skywalker for Halloween =)
  IMG_3340-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
IMG_3339-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
My mom had a couple days off last week, and ever since then my kids have been even more obsessed with her than before. They seriously can’t get enough of Grandma!
IMG_3341-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
Sean has been enjoying doing inpatient medicine, but I think we both can’t wait to get back to a clinic rotation. Its a lot harder to have him get home later, and have to work 6 days a week. Its also just more stressful while he is at work. We also announced publicly this week that we are expecting Baby #3! Here’s the story. Sean and I were pretty sure we wanted to wait to have this next kiddo. We were thinking of more like 3 years between Alana and baby #3. While running on the treadmill one night Sean looked over at me and told me he’d been thinking about how God doesn’t always want us to do what is convenient for us, but rather to serve him any way we can. He mentioned that having more children might be hard, but we know we want more so why not try. I went to the doctor in March and got a prescription for clomid planning to take it in April. Then I just kinda felt like it wasn’t a good idea to try right then. I kept the rx and we went ahead with our move! I was actually so grateful to not be expecting during our move and the months of construction that followed. We decided to go ahead and take the rx in June. I only had one set of pills and figured if it didn’t work we could wait till next year to try. I actually didn’t really know if I wanted to have another baby yet or not, so when I didn’t get pregnant that month I was really surprised that I was so disappointed. It was nice to realize that I really did want another baby. A lot of times clomid stays in your system for a month or two after so there was still a chance, although it was pretty shocking that the next month worked. I woke up on a Saturday morning and my temp was still up so Sean told me to just take the test. I made him go check the results and he said it was negative. When I got up later to go throw away the test there was definitely 2 lines. Sean couldn’t really see it and told me it was a maybe. I was pretty sure 2 lines don’t show up if you aren’t pregnant. It was pretty faint though.
  IMG_3107-2015-09-10-18-09.JPG
I bought two more tests that day and took another the next morning. It was positive! So exciting!!!
IMG_3159-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
We were really excited about it and then just 3-4 days later I had some spotting. It was devastating! I was so afraid I would miscarry and wondered how I would ever be able to handle it! I had a blessing from Sean, called an ob/gyn and made an appointment and talked with my Sister in law. I started to feel some peace about it and tried to just have faith in Heavenly Father’s plan for our family. I had an appointment with an ultrasound. We could see the sac but no baby yet. I was only 5 1/2 weeks so it was really too early to see anything. It was comforting to not see anything abnormal, and that I had only had the one instance of spotting. I made an appt for 2 weeks later. I started to feel pretty nauseous though so that gave me comfort (in a weird way). I ended up canceling that next appointment and going in this past week. I measured 9 weeks 5 days and saw the sweet little beating heart of our new baby! So so exciting! I have felt lots and lots of food aversions, lots of exhaustion, and lots of nausea but luckily I still haven’t thrown up =) Here is a pic from this week, I already have a bump =)
IMG_3348-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
Our baby:
IMG_3349-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg
Here is how we announced the pregnancy to our families and on Facebook. I commissioned it from one of my former roommates =) She is so so talented!
  onefishtwofish-2015-09-10-18-09.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I love this because I love hearing the back story of when people get pregnant. I was wondering if you did Clomid again. Looks like Sean was right and Heavenly Father wanted you to have this baby! Yay! So excited!

    ReplyDelete