I always get a little behind and then I want to write everything down so that I don’t forget and then the post is ridiculously long, oh well! Three Saturdays ago, Sean had to work but he had a fairly light patient load so he was able to go in early and be home by 10. We decided to go shopping at Smiths Marketplace for some furniture. I don’t know if I ever listed all the things we’ve needed to buy for our new home, but the list is a little staggering! We needed a new bed for the kids, a crib, 2 dressers, a couch, a dining room table and chairs, a washer and dryer, and freezer. I’ve been looking all around, but have really wanted Sean’s opinion on things. We found a great table that was a great price. It came with a pretty sizable table, a bench, and 4 chairs.
Here are the kids and Sean trying out the seating=)
We looked at all the couches there but we just weren’t in love so we decided to wait, and good thing we did because we are being gifted a very pretty blue couch from my great aunt (we just have to figure out how to get it out of her 21st floor apartment):
Here is our new house. Its a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath in a cute little neighborhood.
After we went shopping that morning we took he kids mini golfing. I was super impressed with myself that I remembered to bring hats and sunscreen! We had a great time =)
On Sunday we made scripture cookies, which was so much fun!
Here’s some pictures of our Lizzie at 6 weeks old! She is starting to smile all the time and is just so sweet!
We’ve been enjoying the backyard!
Brett’s been having playdates with lots of friends in the neighborhood:
Last Friday we went to have lunch with my great aunt Lucille. She is such a wonderful fun lady and we had a great time. We wen to the Olive Garden which is her favorite and Brett and Alana enjoyed being spoiled with dessert =) Aunt Lucille is 89 years old and it was so precious to see her holding our darling Lizzie!
My Grandma came to lunch too =)
Brett and Alana loved snuggling under this super soft blanket, it was lots of fun until they started fighting like crazy.
I’m super impressed I got this picture with Brett and Alana looking so pleased, Brett was falling apart and didn’t really want to get his picture taken.
On our drive home Brett was acting so disrespectful. I have mentioned that he has had a hard time with anger, grumpiness, and disrespect since Lizzie was born, but I was so so frustrated this day. He was so mad about having to go to lunch and not getting to do what he wanted. He had thrown crackers all over the car, had taken his shoes off and tried to hit Alana with them, had yelled, screamed and cried all the way home (and also said lots of mean things to me and my mom). I mostly just ignored him because I was driving and didn’t really know what to do. When Sean got home that night he was the definition of what happens when mom says “Just wait till your Father gets home!” I told him of my frustrations and Sean took Brett down to the family room and had a prayer with him, then proceeded to make Brett put ALL of his Star Wars possessions in a time out box. Whenever Brett would get silly or dawdle he’d get his hand smacked. It really started to set in for poor Mr. Brett when he had to put his pajamas, shirts, and bedding in the box. There were lots and lots and lots of tears, especially because Brett didn’t know when or if he’d get all his prized possessions back. We settled into a pattern this week where if Brett is respectful and kind, he can earn up to 2 Star Wars things back each day. If he starts to fall into disrespect, his hand get smacked. We have had a zero tolerance policy on being rude or disrespectful to anyone, but especially mommy! It has worked so well and I feel like we have our sweet Brett back! Sean reflected that the prayer was not really his idea and that the star wars time out wasn’t either, it all came through the promptings of the Holy Ghost which we are both so so grateful for especially in this parenting thing!
Last Saturday we went to our friend Kirsten’s birthday party. They live in Springville and remarkably Sean had a light enough load at work that he was able to finish early and come down with us. It was a princess party, where Brett was the only prince =)
While at the party Neil called and invited us to a physics day at BYU. Since we were already down South it worked out perfectly! We met Neil, Rebecca, Kaden and Lexi in the Cougar Eat and then went to the Eyring Science center for some fun activities:
Lizzie’s hair was just so messy and funny to me last Sunday
Monday was Brett’s last day of school. He colored this card and then gave Miss Veronica a big bag filled with s’mores making supplies.
We walked to pick him up and by the time we arrived 10 minutes late, Alana and Lizzie were both crying. When we got there, Brett could’t see his bike and he started crying too! We sat on the lawn for 15 minutes and recovered then headed home =)
Wednesday was Brett’s graduation program. He did great and it was darling to see all the songs they have worked so hard to learn! I think Alana really enjoyed watching him and dreaming about getting to go to preschool too. I found her backpack the other day and she has been giddy to wear it and pretend to go to preschool.
On Friday this week we went to Kaden and Lexi’s house to play and had a really fun time. Rebecca and I watched “Once I was a Beehive” which was darling! Then we went to dinner at the cafeteria with Sean and then to a party with his coworkers. Brett and Alana were the only kids, but they loved being the center of attention and playing frisbee golf. Alana insisted on being thrown super high in the air and Brett loved taking the frisbee’s to people and demanding that they take a turn.
Yesterday I went with my parents and family to the cemetery for Memorial Day which Sean worked. Yesterday was not a light day for him and we are all SO SO glad that he only has 2 more days of work this month! June is Derm and we are EXCITED! We went and bought our washer and dryer last night and spent $1000 which was kinda crazy, but we are excited to have a new and dependable machine. We then got pizza and watched Robin Hood =) Today was our last day in our ward here in West Jordan and Sean played a beautiful version of How Great Thou Art. We move this week and hopefully next time I blog we will be potty training Miss Alana =)

Jennie, I love that you blog about the good and the bad with parenting! I admire you for that! And I LOVE how you handled Brett's discipline. Wow. I want to be like you when I grow up. :)
ReplyDeleteWe loved reading this post and especially admired how you guys were inspired to handle discipline with Brett. We only wish NY was closer to UT so we could hang out with you guys more—Physics Day looked like a lot of fun. :) Hopefully Estelle will get to play with her cousins in the West soon! E&N
ReplyDelete