Thursday, July 12, 2018

Staycation 2018: The 4th of July at the Zoo


My mom used to work at the zoo, so she has some fun connections. She got us an ultra fancy pass that allows Mom, Dad, and me to have a card and we can get in 2 guests and up to six kids every time we go! All our passes to things have expired and we were really excited to get a fun pass that we can share with friends and family too! 
The night before we went to the zoo I went to Costco and bought a wagon. We planned to pack our lunch in because I thought it would be so crowded at the food places (so I wanted something to hold our cooler and perhaps a kid or two). It turns out the 4th of July is a perfect day to go to the zoo. It was less crowded than on a normal weekday, and they had a sale on their stuffed animals!



We all wore our patriotic gear and saw lots of animals, the bird show, rode the carousel several times, and had icees and dippin dots. 













This bench is in memory of the daughter of one of Sean's colleagues. Dr. Henry has taught Sean all about chronic migraine care (something he is passionate about because his daughter committed suicide to escape the pain of a migraine). 

After the zoo we went back to our house for a bit. We rested up a little and then packed up to head out to Grandma and Grandpa's for a BBQ. We had hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, watermelon, and corn. We ate picnic style while watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, then we all went outside to swing and roast s'mores. 





 Grandma and Grandpa were so fun to be with and it was really nice to just chat and laugh! 


I made sure to get peanut butter cups for the s'mores because it is like heaven on earth!!




The kids were really excited for the fireworks and kept asking us when we could start them. I think we started at about 8:50. It was a perfect summer night just being outside with the warm breeze and watching kids swing and eating chocolate! Sean got a great assortment that didn't whistle and screech. The kids all enjoyed it, although Lizzie got pretty nervous with the loud ones. It didn't hurt that she was exhausted and it was 9 pm. 


After we finished our assortment, the kids and Sean stayed out to watch some of the neighbor's aerial fireworks with Grandpa. Grandma and Lizzie and I went in to get in jammies. Lizzie curled up in my arms and fell right to sleep. Alana joined us a few minutes later and curled up in a ball on the couch. Brett was wired and so excited to talk all about our independence from England =) We took a long way home to see fireworks throughout the valley and talked with Brett about battles and war and fighting for freedoms. Both girls were sound asleep. It was another wonderful 4th of July. I read two pages of Harry Potter to Brett when we got home and then told him to go to sleep and he was so outraged until I told him it was nearly 11 and I was going to bed myself. He was out pretty quick! 



No comments:

Post a Comment