Sunday, July 22, 2018

Staycation 2018: This is the Place and Arcade

On Thursday we had a laid back morning. Sean took a mouth cream out to my mom and then went to auto zone while the kids all got baths and played at home. Around 11 Papa and Mimi arrived and we drove up to Foothill drive. We decided to stop and get some lunch before heading to the This is the Place. We went to Red Robin and the girls devoured their macaroni! Sean and I split a wrap, Papa and Mimi split a hamburger and Brett wasn't too hungry so he just had a smoothie. This is the Place is right up across from the Zoo and we are so excited that Papa and Mimi bought a season pass so we can keep going back. They have a really fun gift shop! Alana tried on this beautiful tiara! Brett loved the wooden rubber band guns and we all found lots of treasures we wanted to buy, we ended up holding off since we already bought new stuffies on Monday and Wednesday.  
We wanted to show Daddy all the cool things we had done when we went before. We showed him several things and then explored some other new things. Sean tried the pioneer walking on sticks game.
Alana, Liz, and Brett did laundry and plowed the garden.
We went to the hospital and quilt museum. We were all fascinated by the old instruments. Some were crazy looking and others were exactly the same as what they still use today. They had some fun crafts for the kids to do while we talked with the volunteers there who explained that most of the doctors in the Salt Lake Valley were women. Brigham Young thought that women were every bit as smart and capable as the men, but he thought the men should be the laborers and farmers because they were better built for it. Women were better at the nursing and doctoring.
I took a quick peek at the quilting museum and loved these pieces of art work a lot! I loved that the children were always involved in the quilting. I remember playing intricate games of house under my moms quilting frames when I was little. I have made some quilts myself, but more have watched my mom and I know the work that goes into them now even with fancy sewing machines and modern frames and fabrics. I was so amazed to see these beautiful blankets that were done completely by hand!


We rode the train up to the gold mine area and we all spent quite a lot of time sifting through the creek for gold. The kids did the gem pit again as well. The park was closing at 5 and we were running out of time so we decided that we for sure wanted pony rides, zipline, donuts, and to browse the ZCMI store.
Sean, Mimi, and I took the girls down the hill to the pony rides while Papa and Brett ran over to ride the train. They met us at the ponies right after. All the kids got to ride a pony, then we went over to the playground to do the zipline for a few minutes. We walked up toward ZCMI and Sean and Brett stopped to get donuts at the Brighams donuts shop. We browsed the store and bought some penny candy

While eating our donuts we saw the leather shop and decided to sneak it in really quickly. It turns out the name on the shop was Johnson who was the brother of Joel Hills Johnson. Brett thought it was super cool that his great great great...uncle was a leather guy. The kids got to pound patterns into the leather. I remember doing the same thing as a kid I think in yellow stone. Now that I am thinking about it, I think I got a special kit when I was a kid that had lots of leather things in it (bookmarks, keychains) some of the metal rods to make imprints and a mallet. I remember wanting to save it and keep it special because I loved it and didn't want to use it up.


We headed home after that and Lizzie and Alana fell asleep in the car. When we got home Lizzie was really sad and while Papa tried to comfort her, she conked out again. We heated up a bunch of leftovers from the fridge and watched pixar shorts while we ate. It was a lot of fun!

Papa and Mimi brought some new plush art things for the kids to make. Brett made a penguin and Alana is working on her bunny. We are all working on Lizzie's hedgehog together.
After a hot day in the sun, Brett was excited to have some otter pops!
On Friday we decided to go bowling and to the arcade. We were super excited when we saw that the summer bowling special is that you can bowl a game for 99 cents and rent shoes for 99 cents.
Lizzie's first ball got a strike and Sean got several strikes. I lost the worst because I prefer to have the bumpers and I forgot to ask for them for me.
Brett made me a picture frame for Mother's Day and I need a picture of the two of us to put in it so we finally remembered.



We had a lot of fun in the arcade! My favorite is always Lets Make a Deal. The kids enjoyed the skee ball, mario cart, alien invasion, and fruit ninja.


It was about 4 when we left and we were trying to decide what to do for dinner. We decided to go down to the pizza pie cafe in Orem so that we could eat at a favorite restaurant and stop by to see Uncle Dale while he was visiting. The pizza was delicious as usual, and we all loved the dessert pizza!


Papa and Mimi were babysitting Xander so Brett got to hold him for a few minutes =)
It was another great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment