Friday, September 24, 2021

Double Digits for Brett

 My little baby boy (who is not so little anymore!) turned 10 last week! There is a big part of me that totally believes that he has been in my world for 10 years. He is still my baby though and I tend to coddle him a little extra =) Brett is a incredibly sweet, kind, loving, smart, handsome, mature, level-headed, and spiritual boy! Its honestly such a pleasure to be his mom. He is funny and intelligent. Fun to chat with, play games with, and teach things to. He is often kind and helpful (although sometimes he becomes a bit of a teenager and gets hangry or just moody). He still likes to play with his sisters which I love to watch and listen to. Bringing Brett home when covid hit was a really precious thing to me. I felt like he was always gone with school or friends and I didn't get to hang with him that much. When we were all forced to be at home all the time I realized how cool he is. 

This past paragraph was written a month ago...I guess I got kinda busy and have had a hard time blogging. One reason is that I wanted to upload his birthday movie I made like I usually do, but I made it on Sean's laptop and I wasn't able to upload it to youtube the same way. Sometimes I think I am severely technology handicapped! 

Brett's birthday was on a Sunday this year and we spent what felt like a week celebrating. We had all the Peterson Family over Friday night, we had a fun primary activity in the morning and then pizza and watched Lego Masters on Saturday afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa Zaelit and we had the Ellis family over for spaghetti on Sunday. Brett was spoiled with so many great gifts including lots of legos and a really cool hammock chair for his bedroom. 

Brett starting 5th grade has been so much fun and also kind of challenging for him. His academic capabilities are amazing and he doesn't really seem to struggle with any of the course work. He thrives on the math and technology and science and loves to read for hours each night. He decided to try out fo the student council and made it. He is now secretary of the student council. Brett came home after a few days of school and told me the kids in his class were swearing. I was pretty surprised and told him he should let the teacher know. As we had further conversations about it I realized that his classmates are taking the name of the Lord in vain. For may kids this isn't necessarily bad so they were a bit confused when he kept telling them to stop. Its been a hard adjustment. He also says the kids just don't speak the same way we do at home. They are sometimes mean and just say harsher words like stupid and butt and stuff like that. It was eye opening for him to realize that our home is filled with love and peace and kindness, but not all homes are. We've had a lot of great conversations about standing in Holy Places and being the Holy Place when those around you are choosing different. We have talked about being a good friend and being kind to others who act differently than us. He's also had a bit of a problem with a bully at school who is nice sometimes but then pushes him at recess most days. My momma bear heart is ready to go smack that kid, but we are trying to work with the teacher. The same kid seems to cause a lot of other problems in class and its been stressful to Brett who is such a rule follower. 

Brett loves to play with Eli and I can't think of a better best friend for him. I don't think he has any close fiends at school although he does enjoy playing with a girl named Felicity. 

I will come back eventually and add that video...hopefully =) 


No comments:

Post a Comment