Friday, September 16, 2011

Recently

We are coming up on four weeks of being parents and a ton has changed in our family, and a ton is the same. Sean is still loving medical school. He takes his second anatomy practical exam and midterm this coming Monday. He is busy, but not so busy that I never see him which is nice. I worried a lot about that before we started, but I feel like I see him more now than when I was working all day. On top of medical school he still finds time to work with the ward mission and change tons of diapers. Someone in his class commented on how un-sleep deprived he seems and he attributes this to being very blessed. I think its very true, Heavenly Father has certainly taken care of all our needs. Lots of things are hard, but at least we feel fairly well rested. I am feeling really good, and minus two pretty awful infections have healed remarkably well from child birth. I think I know what people mean when they say you forget child birth because I look back and think it was pretty easy=) (I’m sure the epidural helped with that) Our bathroom scale is pretty weird, but when I went to the doctor about a week after Brett was born I had lost 22 pounds which is exciting! I only gained 23. Even though I have lost a lot of the weight, my clothes don’t fit the same, in fact only one pair of pants fits. I am looking forward to exercising again not only so my pants will fit, but also since I have missed it a lot!

Brett is the best baby in the world! He is so sweet and cuddly and has been giving me a good 4-5 hour chunk of sleep each night, after the 4-5 hours he is up every 2. He started smiling on Monday and has been making a lot more eye contact with us. He moved out of his newborn diapers and clothes. He got a social security card in the mail and gets mail from the insurance company every few days. He is so much more alert lately which is a lot of fun. He grunts and groans a lot. It sounds like a dinosaur so we call him the Brettasaurus.

Sean’s younger brother Brian flew to Russia on Monday! I can’t believe he is so far away, Russia seems like another planet.

Many of my friends write extensive book and movie reviews and I wanted to follow their lead. Right before Brett was born I finished reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time, then I watched two versions of the film. I was going to write a big review of the book and movies, but alas a baby came into the house and Brett is just so much cooler than Elizabeth Bennet. So here is a mini review: I LOVED the book. I have always wanted to read it and I was not disappointed. Before reading the book I liked the Keira Knightly version best, but after reading it I like the Colin Firth version way more. I am reading a Richard Paul Evan’s book right now although I haven’t gotten the hang of holding the book while nursing so I spend a lot more time watching made for TV movies on Netflix. Next on my list is a book called The Evolution of Thomas Hall which looks and sounds fascinating!

Of course I have many pictures to share as usual:
We bought Brett a rainforest swing and he loves it! He just stares up at the mobile with really wide eyes, its adorable.
IMG_1201-2011-09-16-21-05.JPG
IMG_1206-2011-09-16-21-05.JPG
He just looks so cute with his arms all spread out. I love that the pants are so short on this little outfit.
IMG_1212-2011-09-16-21-05.JPG
Brett really likes tummy time. He has a super strong neck!
IMG_1216-2011-09-16-21-05.JPG
He also loves to sleep on people, especially his dad. I caught this half smile the other night while he was snoozing.
IMG_1220-2011-09-16-21-05.JPG

3 comments:

  1. Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books too! I am just starting the last Jane Austen book that I haven't already read (Pursuasion)...it makes me kind of sad that I won't have any new ones to read anymore...

    Brett is cute in all those pictures, but in that last one he is especially adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for P&P! now you have to read Austenland by Shannon Hale.
    we have a Briellesaurus! yay for dino cousins! love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are such cute pictures, Jennie! I love that you have a little Brettosaurus. :) And I love that you finally got to watch the A&E version. I'd never seen it until I got to college, but of course I was immediately addicted. And I like the Keira Knightley version pretty well now, too, even though I hated it when it first came out (do you remember?). :)

    ReplyDelete