On Saturday I had the opportunity to go to a Stake Women’s Conference. It was run a little like education week where there were tons of classes and you got to choose which ones to go to. We got to pick three and then they served us a lovely lunch. The first thing I did to make the day enjoyable was bring Brett with me since I panic and stress when i’m not with him (I’m working on that=)).
The first class I went to was titled “Behold your little ones” and it was taught by our bishops wife whom I LOVE. She started her class by talking about how child rearing changed with the book by Dr. Spock and how the book was so popular it became the second best selling book of all time. She then mentioned that the first best selling book of all time was the Bible. She pointed out that the best parenting book you will ever find is the scriptures, who better to ask for parenting advice than the most perfect Father of all. If what I need to know isn’t written down in the scriptures, then revelation should be my answer not google. I was so overcome with the spirit, knowing that all this time of searching and stressing I have been missing the best source of all. I thought of how just four short months ago, Brett was in our Father in Heaven’s arms. God is the expert on Brett and he has entrusted him to Sean and I! He knows how to put him to sleep, whats the best strategy to help get him nutrition, how to comfort him when he’s upset, and everything else. He is the one I should turn to first.
I have been going to my secular books first and Heavenly Father second when it really should be the other way around. I feel like there is so much information out there and as a parent I should be educated in all things, but the person I should turn to for the final answer is my Heavenly Father.
Something I have been considering for several months is how much I am spiritually lacking right now. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I haven’t had a good regular pattern of personal scripture study since before I got married. Sean and I were really good about reading together until we had Brett and now it has become a little crazy. How am I supposed to get the answers I need about raising my little man if i’m not reading and studying daily? How am I supposed to teach him about the gospel if I’m not learning about it everyday. I feel like God has been trying to tell me for a long time how important this is and the class of Saturday was like a lightbulb going off. I am so grateful for a Father who loves me enough to give me answers to questions I didn’t even know I had!
So here are my New Years goals:
-Study the scriptures personally everyday
-Family scripture study daily
-exercise at least 3x a week (you always have to include this one right)
-prepare my primary lesson earlier in the week
And now I will leave you with some adorable pictures, because what good is a post without a picture or two of Mr. Brett?
Here he is loving our new TV!
Tummy time in the buff (almost)
Rolling over action shot!
Playing with the wash cloth puppy, LOVE those rolls!

Ah, Jennie, he is SO sweet. I can't get over the cuteness of that smile. And I'm glad you have had such a revelation--isn't it amazing how simple things look after one of those? Little Brett is lucky to have you watching out for him, my love. :)
ReplyDeleteJennie! You are amazing no questions! Look how happy your little one is! You've got to be doing something right ;) My new years resolutions include reading the scriptures too so lets keep each other on track!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny. What a cute little guy! And a darling quilt. :-)
ReplyDeleteThere is no one right way to raise children. It all needs to be tailored to each child and parent. No matter what you do, sometimes it will be wrong. C'est la vie! Receiving promptings about what to do is the best "advice" out there, as you said.
One thing I learned as I went along is to slow down and enjoy many moments of being with your children throughout the day. :-)
Thanks for sharing your revelation. I am a mom that worries all the time too and I struggle with letting little Lucy out of my sight (which I am also working on). Barry and I were just "discussing" this last night so I am really appreciative of your insights. I am also a google-goer and a page turner but of all the wrong books and sites. I should have been looking to Heavenly Father first. I like what you said, "God is the expert on Brett and he has entrusted him to Sean and I!" Heavenly Father is the expert for Lucy and I should turn to Him, too. Thank you for easing a little of my worries and helping me see how to be a better mom.
ReplyDelete