Sunday, July 29, 2012

Jennie's Journal: Pioneers

Its actually funny how much more difficult it is to write about myself or my feelings. What I really wanted to blog about tonight was our last minute trip to El Paso this weekend, but alas you need the pictures and I can’t upload them right now so you’ll just have to wait.


I have been thinking a lot about the pioneers this past month. I read a book called “These is my words” which was absolutely wonderful! The book is about a woman who lived in the Arizona territories, it is her journal from 1881-1901. Its a fictional book based on historical events and persons and I felt like I was part of her life. Anyway, she made two treks in wagon trains. Then last week was the 24th of July which is Pioneer Day in Utah. Of course here in good ol Albuquerque its just another day, but Sean and I took some time to think of our pioneer heritage. And finally, our ward’s youth went on a pioneer trek this past week and reported on their experiences during Sacrament meeting today. I have always had an appreciation for the sacrifices and hardships those wonderful people went through, but it has taken on new meaning this year. Sean and I have been entering the joyous world of having a toddler (I don’t mean that sarcastically as we are LOVING watching every stage our little guy goes through) and we were wondering what it must have been like for toddlers on the wagon train. Brett can’t walk yet, but boy can he crawl. He couldn’t crawl in the dirt and rock, he would rip his knees apart. Brett has a very strong opinion on when he should be eating and what he should be eating, you can’t just stop a wagon train because one baby has a need or else the train would never move. We were also thinking about how it must have been for the fathers and mothers who had to not only walk and walk and walk all day, but then get up at night to tend to their babies, then walk and walk the next day while having a baby on their hip.


The woman who spoke in church today was a Ma on the Trek and was mentioning how one day she got sick and was just focusing on walking and trying not to throw up, she was so grateful for her husband holding her hand and helping her along and was thinking about how much she needed him. Apparently our Stake had a person come around and visit different families with death by tying a string around their arm. During that walk her husband “died”. She mentioned how it really struck her how it must feel to lose a loved one. I was sitting there thinking about my husband and how much I need him and how awful it would be to lose him! It made me think about our Eternal marriage and how I get to have him forever and it made me grateful not only for those amazing Temple covenants that allow me to have lasting Eternal relationships but for my knowledge of them. I am so grateful to KNOW about my Savior and the amazing church that he has placed on this earth.


This post has been a little random, but my thoughts are usually pretty random too=) Hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment