Sunday, July 22, 2012

Jennie's Journal


Don’t miss Mr. Brett’s 11 month post right under this one=)


I’m really good at blogging about our family and all the fun things we do. I am especially good about writing about all the wonderful successes and triumphs of our little man. I am not so good about writing about me. I am a terrible journal writer and have found that the only way I will keep writing our family journal is to share it to a blog, that way family and friends can see pics of Mr. Brett (and I feel like I get some encouragement to write through sharing it). Today I was thinking that I need to write in my journal more often about feelings and experiences that have changed me or made me who I am. I would love to read things like that from my grandmothers or parents or sister. So I have decided to do 2 things: write in my personal journal more, and write a post once a week or so about me. If you prefer the newsy stuff about our family goings on, then just skip my “jennie journal” posts=)

Jennie Journal #1: Pastry Chef

Today I was learning more about bread. I love to bake and have been making our families bread for the last 9 months or so. I use fresh ground wheat and have been wanting to make my bread more fluffy and soft. I chatted with some friends yesterday and they gave me lots of advice about using honey, wheat gluten, and dough enhancer. One friend shared a website called every day food storage where Mr. Brett and I spent an hour or so today (he had just woken up from his nap and was enjoying watching the tutorials). I feel like I learned so much, and I couldn’t help but want to know more! I found a great recipe that i’m really excited to try, i’ll let you know how it works out. Anyway, all this learning about cooking reminded me how much I love to cook. When I was 13-15, my biggest desire was to go to culinary school and become a pastry chef. The idea of going to classes where they teach you how to manipulate food into amazing, tasty concoctions still gives me super happy feelings. I still really want to go someday=) What changed you may ask? I had some fears about my weight starting at age 16 that led me to look for a different occupation. Although I am sad I didn’t follow that dream, I am grateful that I chose a different one for that time in my life. I love teaching-even more than baking=) Luckily, teaching myself through internet sources and learning from wonderful friends is the perfect hobby for this time in my life. Sean certainly doesn’t mind being my guinea pig. We have recently tried roasted sweet potatoes, quinoa pilaf, chia seed smoothies, and a new orleans red rice and bean recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love hearing about little Brett, but I miss hearing about Jennie too. :)

    ReplyDelete