Sunday, November 4, 2012

Where can I turn for peace?

I have been thinking a lot about this hymn lately. Yesterday while at a baptism I finally pulled out a hymn book and read through all the verses. I think everyone has hard periods in their life where they feel like nothing is going right and other times things seem to be going really great. I am at a phase right now where I feel like life is great. I certainly have trials and things that are hard, for instance i’m sick of being poor and its really hard living in a city with no family around=), but overall I feel incredibly blessed to have such a fantastic hard-working husband and a wonderful, funny, rambunctious little boy. I have wonderful parents in Utah and New Mexico who are only a Skype call or a car drive away. I have a sister who talks to me often and keeps me company on long afternoons while Sean is studying. I get to stay home and be a mommy and wife, which is my dream!


I do remember times in my life though when everything wasn’t quite so hunky dory and I felt abandoned and alone. This hymn is a wonderful one to remind us of the power of the Atonement and the love of our Savior Jesus Christ


Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole? When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice, I draw myself apart, searching my soul?



Where, when my aching grows, where, when I languish, where, in my need to know, where can I run? Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish? Who, who can understand? He only One.



He answers privately, reaches my reaching in my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend. Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching. Constant he is and kind, love without end.



When I start to feel frustrated with myself or irritated with my circumstances, I remember my Savior and his love and the peace I can find through his infinite Atonement.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your deep thoughts--I think my favorite line is, Who, who can understand? He only One. love, mom p

    ReplyDelete
  2. With everything that has happend in the past few years, we know that the savior is the only one we can turn to, but I am so greatful he has sent me 2 wonderful daughters and sons, that help me find peace also!

    Love,
    Momma Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen I needed that today :)

    ReplyDelete