Monday, February 25, 2013

Praying

It is so fun to teach your child to do things. Brett is at an age now where we can teach him lots and lots of things and he learns them so quickly. He can do signs for “all done” “more” “please” “milk” and “thank you”. He also does the actions to several songs, can correctly identify his head, nose, mouth, tongue, chin, hand, leg, foot, and ears, and he can tell us the sounds of a beaver, clock, fish, and bird. He is like a sponge and it is so fun to watch him taking in his world every day.

We have been praying with him since he was born. I wasn’t as diligent at making sure to pray out loud with him during the day until he started eating solids. Once he started eating solids we made sure to have a prayer with him each time we sat down to eat a meal. As his bedtime routine got more solid we added a nightly prayer for him. Sean or I say a prayer as if it were Brett talking. Last week he started acting more interested in doing the same actions as us when we prayed so we had a family home evening about prayer. I told Brett we were going to have a lesson about prayer and that when we pray we are talking to Heavenly Father. We close our eyes (which he did with a giant smile on his face) and we fold our arms (which he did with a bigger smile) and we bow our head. Thats the one that stuck. He now bows his head and keeps it down every time we pray for the entire prayer. When we say amen he gets such a smile and seems so happy. We taught him that in prayers we say thank you, and I love you, and please to Heavenly Father.

It was such an amazing experience to see his testimony growing. He loves to pray! I love teaching him so many things and watching him learn brings me so much joy!

On a different note, yesterday was Brett’s first day in nursery on his very own. Here is Sean’s account of the activity:

Brett had his first official day of nursery today, and I regret to

report that it was not his finest hour. I was running back and forth

between substituting as the primary pianist and helping Jennie so she

could lead the Young Women meeting, and poor Brett just couldn't take

being in the nursery by himself. Apparently he did well on his own

until it was time to put the toys away for the break, and I really

don't blame him. Why would we ever, EVER want to put the toys away?

That's just mean! So he was bawling, but we got him calmed down

playing at the water fountains (coolest things ever!) so I took him

back in to the nursery for the snack time, and that was okay. I mean,

it's snack, what could be wrong with that? So I took off back to the

primary to play, and not ten minutes later I hear his distinctive wail

coming from the hallway. I don't know what set him off, but he's been

needing tons of extra sleep yesterday and today so I wouldn't be

surprised if it was for simple exhaustion that made him so sad.

We’ll try again next week! We are going to try practicing putting our toys away at home=)

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with the things you teach Brett--and we were tickled to see him pray at our house after your lesson. What a sweet spirit he (and you as parents) have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are amazing! I wish that I was as good at making sure my kids did that as you are with Brett. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete