Thursday, August 8, 2013

Deedee's name will be...

So it has been awhile since we had a proper Deedee update! Perhaps our biggest piece of news is that we have picked a name. We are also pretty set on a middle name, but Sean gets the final say and he is still thinking about it. Her first name will be Alana. The second “a” is pronounced almost like o in gone not “a” like apple, if that makes any sense at all=) I am pretty excited about this name. We had a ton of girl names from many conversations about having little girls with Sophia being on the top of the list. I tried to call this little girl Sophia though and it just didn’t work, its not her name. One night about a week after we found out her gender, I was sitting on the couch and thought of the name Alana. I asked Sean what he thought and he said he liked it. We kept it to ourselves for awhile and secretly called her Lana just to see if it fit and it stuck. I always loved the idea of calling a little girl “Little Lady” and it sealed the deal when Sean said we could call her “Lady Lana”. And then it all came together because what better theme could you think of to decorate with than ladybugs? We like names to come from somewhere and her middle name will most certainly be a family name, but Alana just came out of thin air. I did make a connection that works for me though=) The fist time Sean held my hand and put his arm around me was while we were making pumpkin pies and watching Lilo and Stitch. Ohana (don’t know how to spell that) became kinda a theme during our courtship. Once I had to grandma-sit while my parents were out of town which meant I wouldn’t see Sean all week. He snuck a little stitch stuffed animal into my bag with a note that said Ohana means family. If you don’t get any of that, watch the movie. Anyway, Alana is a name that originates in Hawaii so there you go. Someday we’ll have to take her to Hawaii=)

Here’s the first thing I have made for our Little Lady:

IMG_5878-2013-08-8-20-05.JPG

There are lots of things I want to make this little girl, but the problem is I don’t know how to do lots of them! I am going to make her a wall-hanging like I did for Brett. I also want to make a new dust ruffle for the crib, some tutu’s, and perhaps some bows. I think the bows intimidate me the most so perhaps i’ll just buy them from more talented friends. At the end of the month we are having a little family reunion with my Mom and Sister and I hope they can help me be a little more crafty=) I think the mod podge project above turned out pretty cute though?

We have a double stroller now which was a big item on the to-get list. We were going to buy one and I had pretty much decided I wanted a side-by-side, but then my sister offered to give us her brand new graco one from that awesome prize my Dad won 3 years ago. The stroller has never been used and is a back to back. It rides really really smooth and is not too bulky. Brett has tried it out and he loves it already. Thanks Sam for being so generous! When you need a double stroller, we’ll chip in!!

Lana is a wiggly young lady! She moves and kicks a lot, and I love feeling her. Sean has felt her a couple times, although we are learning that she is a little stubborn and likes to hide. She has hidden from the heart monitor 2 times which has produced extra mini ultrasounds and stress for her mommy! We had a second full ultrasound with a perinatologist a few weeks ago too since the technician who did the first one couldn’t get a few images and she was nervous about some dark spots on the placenta. It turns out everything is fine and she is healthy as ever! I have decided though that I really LOVE seeing her move and wiggle and getting adorable pictures of her, but it really starts to hurt after awhile to have them pushing on your stomach with that monitor! I am so glad she is healthy though. Up next is the diabetes test which sound miserable, but Sean keeps reminding me how important it is. I have already gained about 20 lbs which is more than with Brett. Since I only gained 24 total with Brett this number scares me a bit. I did start this pregnancy lighter than with Brett though and I wasn’t sick during the first trimester. I can’t remember how weight gain goes in the 3rd trimester?

I think the next big step is figuring out where she will sleep. We have rearranged our apartment since Brett was a newborn and we are in the smaller bedroom now. I don’t know if the pack-n-play will fit, we need to try it. We may need to buy a bassinet or something.

So we are excited for Deedee Lana to come and we have a lot of stuff left to get ready for her! Good thing we have 3 more months!

Here is a fun picture of Sean and Mr. Brett. Sean has been working nights this last week so here is Brett getting ready to say good-bye. IMG_5875-2013-08-8-20-05.JPG

5 comments:

  1. Lady Lana. Love it! Congratulations on picking a name, that can be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love the name, and if you want, I am happy to make her some bows or direct you to some really easy tutorials for bows and tutus (or both!) if you want. I had so much fun making bows and flowers for CB - I'm sure you will too! I'm so excited to meet this little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name and nickname! I'm not crafty so I'm not much help there....I'm sure it'll all turn out cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alana is a cute name! And I like the pronunciation too. I'm glad you're doing well and Alana is healthy! ;)

    ReplyDelete