My parents sent a valentine package and it came the week after Valentines Day. My mom was really upset about it, but I thought it was great because the kids loved getting treats on a different day. The kids each got $10 and Brett ran out and bought a new cars wii game. Alana was a little more patient and waited till the next day to buy a new 101 Dalmatian puppy from the Disney Store.
I think I mentioned in my last post that this little cutie has been having a hard time sleeping lately. I gave the kids some goldfishes on the couch while I was getting lunch on the table the other day and this is what happened =) She was so zonked out!
The kids have been ridiculously obsessed with dogs lately! I thought it might be fun to have a movie night and watch 101 Dalmatians. We spread out a blanket, ate hot dogs and sweet potatoes, popped popcorn, and watched the whole movie. The kids were enthralled the whole time!
Of course there was much laughter and rough-housing first =)
I have been taking Brett to the same library since he was about 9 months old. They have a great music and movement class on Thursday mornings. We sometimes go to the story time on Wednesdays instead, but lately Lana has been loving the music! They love to sing, and dance, and use the instruments. It has also been a huge highlight to check out tons of books each week!
Sean had to work on Saturday so we went to the zoo with Tiffani and Yoshi. We saw lots of animals, ate a picnic lunch, played with a soccer ball, and fed the ducks. I’m so glad we took advantage of all the warm February weather and visited the zoo three times! Its gotten cold now and I am missing the warmth!
Sean is finishing his last week in the Emergency Room this week and we are both pretty excited. It has been a really good rotation with very doable hours and lots of learning. He said he’s been able to do about 4 dozen stitches and has seen very diverse cases. It’s been crazy to hear about the variety of people that the ER treats! On Monday he will start a Dermatology rotation. We are trying to figure out how to fit a Utah trip in after Match Day, I am so excited to see my family! I have still been doing my health challenge and have lost 4 lbs! I’m pretty excited about it, and just need to buckle down and finish these last 4 weeks! Its hard! Our good friends here in Albuquerque were expecting a baby on March 10. Cam and Brett are best friends and love to play together, so Erin and I have gotten pretty close. When she told me her husband was going out of town from Sun-Wed, I told her to call me if anything happened. She was positive nothing would happen since she had to be induced with Cam. I saw her on Sunday and she looked just fine =) On Monday morning I was woken up with a call from Erin asking me to come over. She said her contractions were every 10 minutes since 4 and they were really strong. I thought she would probably stop contracting by the time I got there but by the time I got there 20 min later the contractions were every 5 minutes. She hadn’t heard back from her doctor yet but wanted to just go into the hospital. We woke up Cam and took him to our apartment to play with Sean, Brett, and Alana. We kept trying to get ahold of her husband, but he wasn’t answering. We got to triage and Erin’s doctor came to check things out. Erin was shocked when the doctor confirmed that she was in labor and was dilated to a 6 and 90% effaced! Erin’s husband Travis finally called right before we left triage and was going to try to get home asap. We moved over to the labor and delivery room and Erin’s contractions started coming every 3 minutes. She desperately wanted an epidural but the labs were taking forever and she needed to finish her iv. They gave her some pain medication through her iv, but that didn’t really touch the contractions. I asked her if she wanted to switch positions to find some relief, she moved to her side and had a super strong contraction. She was in so much pain. The only thing I knew to tell her was to keep breathing through the contractions. After a few minutes on her side she called out that she thought the baby was coming. Both nurses left to go find the doctor and get things set up. I heard a pop and thought “I think her water just broke” Both nurses had left and I was all alone with Erin who was in her own birthing zone and not saying anything. I kinda hollered out that her water broke. The nurses came back in and checked and baby’s head was coming. The doctor came in a had a seat in the rocking chair. Both Erin and I were wondering what on earth he was doing. One of the nurses said, she needs to push and the doctor jumped up and got his gloves on. Poor Erin was in so so much pain and the doctor asked me to help hold her leg. Baby boy came out in like 2 minutes. He was super purple, poor guy was so shocked from such a quick birth! I got to see the doctor move the cord from around babies neck and I even got to cut the cord! What a crazy crazy experience! Nurses and doctors were all over the room trying to help the baby breath and trying to get Erin all finished up. All along the way I was texting Erin’s family and husband with updates. Travis was on a plane between St. Louis and Dallas when the baby was born so when he called on his layover he was told the news. I tried to take lots of pictures and hold Erin’s hand, but its tricky business being a birth coach! I never expected to get to do that. Travis arrived at 2:30 so I ran to pick him up and got him right to the hospital. Sean had been taking care of the kids all day except for a few hours when he had to go to class and our neighbor came over to help out. I went home got Sean, Cam, Brett, and Alana and we went to Travis and Erin’s house to get their car, then took the car and Cam to the hospital. It was a whirlwind of a day! I am so so grateful I got to be there to experience Baby Benjamin’s birth. What a beautiful experience it was and such a sacred honor to be able to help. Super cute little man!

No comments:
Post a Comment