About two weeks ago I started to feel like it might be time to try a new doctor for Brett. I mentioned to Sean that I thought his anxiety was really out of control and that I would like to take him to a pediatrician who helps kids with anxiety. We got a referral to a doctor who had a year and a half wait! She must be really good. I then talked to another office up at the U and got him an appointment. The day after I had made the appointment with the U, Sean talked with the therapist at his work who highly recommended Dr. Sandvig. I called her office and was told that I needed to get all the paperwork filled out and submitted before we could make an appointment. I did the paperwork as quickly as possible and was able to get an appointment for the next week! What a miracle! I took Brett out of school at lunchtime and we headed out to my mom and dad's so Brett, Alana, and Lizzie could have a little more time playing with Kaity before she went back home. They had a blast while Mom, Sam, and I hung pictures in the bedroom. Brett's appointment was at 4 so I left the girls with my mom and Sam and Brett and I drove up to St Marks. Sean met us at the pediatricians office and we had a really great visit. The doctor was so thorough and she recommended that we try some Zoloft. It hasn't even been a week yet and we are noticing a huge difference. Brett is much calmer, happier, and back to his normal self. He is noticing the difference and has mentioned more than once that he really likes these pills. He also feels a great deal of accomplishment that he can swallow the pill. It took him some time and some hyperventilating shakes for about 10 minutes before he was able to try it and it hasn't been a problem since. I feel so grateful for the prompting Sean and I felt a few weeks ago that maybe medication would be a good idea for him.
Kaity had so much fun babysitting her cousins! Alana loved all Kaity's unicorn books.Alana is such an awesome artist!
Here is a lion and a dragon fly in an underground tunnel looking for a unicorn.
Brett wanted me to take a picture of him sleeping, its never hard to convince me to do that!
Since I was taking pics of Brett, I couldn't resist getting one of the girls too.
Brett had Spring break last Thursday, Friday and then today (Monday) and tomorrow. Sean originally had taken all this time for vacation so we could go house hunting. When we picked our house so much earlier we decided to still keep last Thursday and Friday off. On Thursday we woke up and got the kids baths and gave them their new Easter clothes. The girls got dresses and Brett got a new shirt. I also got Alana and Brett 3 new pairs of pajamas each. They were so excited! Alana LOVED her yellow dress and asked for a ponytail with a bow (she NEVER does that!) She looked very pretty!
We went to the Jordan River Temple open house and had a wonderful time. I have felt so busy and stressed with all that is going on lately (moving, Brett's moods, balancing extended family, etc). I really wanted to feel the Spirit and get in the proper mood for Conference weekend and Easter. I had been praying for that and was overwhelmed with the Spirit as we walked into the entryway of the Temple. It was magical to watch the kids see the Temple and explain to them the special things that go on inside there. It was Lizzie's first time and she loved it! Alana loved the Bride's room and the Sealing rooms. She was so fascinated about weddings and how you get to wear a special dress. I was reminded how I had every intention of getting married in Disneyland until my parents took me to the Timpanogos Temple open house. I saw the brides room there (and I'm sure felt the spirit) and was convinced the Temple was where I wanted to be married! I hope my children feel the same goals and desires growing inside them. Brett loved the marrying rooms and said he was ok with the girls getting the big brides room because they have to get their hair done and get the babies out =)
We went home and did a little packing, some errands, played and then headed down to Mom and Dad P's house in Orem. Mom grilled hamburgers and served baked beans and corn on the cob. It was delicious!! We left the kiddos in their grandparent's capable hands and headed off to see the Hunchback of Notre Dame at Hale Center theater. Lizzie didn't even cry, and they all went to sleep really well! The play was very very well done. They took the music from the Disney animated production but stayed more true to the story in the book. I have never been more disgusted with a character than I was with the evil, self-serving, perverted, puffed up, horrible priest Frollo. The play was really heavy and kinda hard to digest. We enjoyed it very much, but its not one I would be giddy to see again.
After the play we ran back to our house in Holliday to get some dress clothes for the next night, then headed back to Orem to sleep over. We woke up and made Mickey waffles and had a lazy relaxed morning. We headed toward the mall. Papa took the kids to the playground while Sean, Mom P and I walked through RC Willey. I found a couch I really like but we are going to wait till we close to actually purchase it. The kids played till noon, then we got food in the food court. After that we went back to the playground for another hour. Sean and I took turns going to Banana Republic, Down East, and Eddie Bauer. We got to spend our Christmas gift cards =)
After we were completely worn out at the mall, we went back to Papa and Mimi's house to finish Peter Pan.
After the movie, we packed in the car and drove up to Mom and Dad Z's house in West Jordan. Traffic was horrible!!! We made it there at about 5:30, ran inside and changed into our dress things, quickly told my mom where kids jammies were and what time bedtime was then ran out the door to attend the UAFP banquet where Sean was given an award for winning the poster session at the CME and Ski.
The kids had a great time playing with Grandma and Grandpa and making brownies (Alana's favorite food right now!) That cute little girl has gotten ultra picky lately and even told me tonight as she was falling asleep that she wished treats could be healthy foods and healthy food could be treats. I agree! With being away from home so much this past weekend she had a hard time not having her normal foods that we have at home. She likes toast, sausage, ham, cereal, red juice, apple, banana, and pizza. We are trying to work with her and have been doing a healthy food challenge where we each need to eat at least 4 healthy foods a day. The "challenge foods" are any fruit or vegetable and yogurt and string cheese. It has really helped all of us, but especially Brett and Alana to eat more healthy foods. This past weekend was an exception as the kids got to eat as much candy as they wanted=)
The UAFP dinner was really nice, we had a good time sitting with current and former St. Marks residents. We went back to Mom and Dad Z's after that and enjoyed some fun conversation before we all fell into bed exhausted. On Saturday morning we got up early and drove down to Orem for an Easter Egg hunt. Brett, Alana, Lexi, and Kaden all did the 4-6 year old field and Lizzie did the 0-3.
After everyone got lots of eggs we headed over to Neil and Rebecca's house to watch General Conference. The first session was the Solemn Assembly where we got to sustain Russel M Nelson as our new prophet. What a wonderful spirit I felt as I rose my hand to sustain him! I was particularly touched that no one spoke out (at least that we could hear on the TV) during the sustaining! The messages were beautiful and we all felt the Spirit! We played the conference game and the best words were repentance (kit kats) and Temple (twix) Prophet was said a million times and I was glad Rebecca had put goldfish crackers in that bowl. Its amazing to me how well the kids listen with this simple game. The kids did coloring and puzzle and then went to play a bit, but they kept popping back in to watch more conference. Between sessions we decided to stay for the afternoon session so we played outside a lot then got Lizzie down for a nap. After afternoon session we headed back to our house. We had some spaghetti then Sean went to the Priesthood session while the kids and I worked on making Easter desserts. We made some sugar cookie bars and a lemon blueberry cake.
At one point Lizzie laid down to throw a classic Lizzie fit where she just plasters herself to the floor and pouts.Sean came home from Priesthood session to announce that the High Priest group in each ward has been discontinued and now all men are part of the Elder's quorum. Big Change! We got kiddos to bed then Sean packed some boxes.
The Easter bunny came and on Sunday morning the kids were very excited to find Easter baskets with new stuffed animals and candy on their spots at the table and eggs everywhere for a hunt. Brett found it so funny that the bunny had put toys and eggs on the piano since one of our main rules is no toys on the piano. We had a relaxing morning with biscuits and gravy, candy, piano playing, music and the spoken word, then conference with our dear friends the Saffrons. Our kids did great as we played the conference game again and I again felt the spirit so strongly as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang He is Risen and He Sent His Son.
After the morning session Sean and I ate a little lunch (the kids were full of snacks, treats, and candy!) then headed to my parents for the afternoon session. We had fun looking at their new bathroom, getting the fruit salad put together, cleaning up the backyard and swinging! The PM session started and we were excited to hear from the new Apostles, then we had an announcement from President Nelson that Home and Visiting Teaching is being retired and replaced by Ministry visits. BIG CHANGES. Then at the end he announced new temples in India and Russia and several other places!
Mom and Dad P and Neil, Rebecca, Kaden, and Lexi came for Easter dinner. We had a delicious feast then enjoyed giving some Easter treats to each other including my Mom giving Neil and Rebecca a quilt! We all had a wonderful time visiting.
Sean helped Alana learn more about pumping her legs on the swing. She is getting so big and grown up and Sean and I both worry that she is far too pretty for her own good! Sean and I both reveled all weekend in how nice it was to parent our kids and have normal reactions to our parenting. For example when I told Brett that he needed to be a little quieter because I wanted to listen to Elder Holland's talk, he said ok and went downstairs to play with Alana!. Alana and Brett have been playing together without Brett getting irritated and being mean and then Alana crying and then Brett getting furious that she is crying. His being more patient and less irritable is impacting our whole family. Alana is happier and less afraid and doesn't ask me why Brett is always so mean and grumpy and Lizzie is slowly starting to warm up to Brett again (she has avoided him the last several weeks) Sean and I even commented that when we aren't so worn out from trying to help him through absolute melt downs we feel better able to reinforce things for all the kids, like eating some dinner before dessert or cleaning up your mess.
Today Sean went back to work and the kids and I went swimming with Rebecca, Kaden, and Lexi in Provo. I packed lots of pictures this afternoon and did laundry while kiddos played and excavated dino eggs. We had a family home evening about Priesthood blessings, then Sean gave Brett and I a blessing. In my blessing he told me that I need to rely on others around me as I work toward my goals and to remember that they will be blessed for their service to me. I was grateful for that reminder since I do worry a lot about asking others for help. Brett's blessing was one of peace, comfort and strength where Heavenly Father told him that there are many tools we are given to help us through this life and that this medicine is a tool for Brett. He pointed out how much love and emotion Brett has and how wonderful that is. Alana said she doesn't really have any problems right now,=) but we made sure to tell her that she can always ask for a blessing from Daddy.
Tomorrow should be a relaxed day with movies, library, playing, and packing. Then back to school for Brett on Wednesday. Sean and I have our New Home orientation on Wednesday morning.
































No comments:
Post a Comment