Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Peterson's come to Visit

Sean had some leftover vacation to use up before resident graduation so we chose to have several Fridays in a row off. We knew Peterson family would be in town around the beginning of June so he took off the 7th and 8th and then has each Friday off for the rest of the month (not counting having to clean off his desk on the very last day).  It turned out that there wasn't any Peterson festivities going on that Thursday so we decided to do a hike up behind the Draper temple. It was truly beautiful and I loved seeing how brave and strong our kids are. It was a long hike for them, 2.5 miles I think. Alana in particular is also really afraid of bugs right now and she was a real trooper. Alana and Lizzie rode in the backpacks on and off. Once we convinced Lizzie to try the backpack she never wanted to get out, she thought it was so cool. The name of one of the trails we went on was the Ghost Falls trail and Lizzie keeps talking about the ghost trail and the backpack and how it was on mommy's back. There were some truly breathtaking views of the temple! The kids loved it! It is neat to see the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment the kids get when they are able to do something so big and hard!








After the hike we stopped by the gas station for some frozen drinks. They had a Georgia peach option which was soooo yummy! I mowed the lawn and we did some other random chores and house things then we went to a place called Cubby's for dinner. I had been there once a few years ago and remembered it being good, none of us were disappointed!
One night after baths Alana decided to get super comfy for blow drying =)
Late Thursday night, Brandon and Michal arrived so we headed down to Orem on Friday morning to say hi to everyone and play with cousins. After lunch we took the kids over to a giant indoor playground place called Coconut Cove where they all ran around and had so much fun while the adults chatted and played a card game. We had pizza at Neil and Rebeccas house for dinner and planned to watch a movie, but everyone was having too much fun playing to watch a show.



Sean signed up to work an extra shift at Foothill on Saturday morning to help boost our savings account a bit. The kids and I went down to Kaden's baseball game and then back to Neil and Rebecca's house for Kaden's epic water birthday party. I didn't end up getting many pictures because I was helping the girls. Alana is really nervous about the water right now and hates getting splashed.
One of my favorite moments was when Kaden opened his presents and Brett sat next to him and helped hold things and collect garbage. I hope they are always friends!

The cake was cut and passed out and all the kids were so excited!

Sean was able to come down as the party was wrapping up. He got some of the leftover BBQ and then had fun watching Lego Ninjago with some tired, wet kids, while I ran to the grocery store and then home to drop off groceries and then back to Vineyard. We had a mishmash dinner of random leftovers and Sean went to help with a move in Neils ward and then we headed home. Mom and Dad Z met us there to help with some sprinkler stuff, Sean has been working hard to get the drip system all set in our garden.

Sunday morning we spent at our place playing, baking rolls, and preparing for church. After church we went to Mom and Dad P's house. Aunt Sharrie and Aunt Diane came and then Sean, Brandon, Neil, and Eric and all of our families. We had Brian join us through skype and Dad P dedicated the home. It was a very nice prayer of dedication. We then had a ham dinner with all the fixings and the kids had tons of fun playing and watching Donald Duck cartoons.

On Monday Sean had to go to work which was a bummer. The kids and I met Rebecca, Kaden, Lexi, Mom and Dad P, Eric, Natalie, Estelle, Brandon, Michal, Brielle, Lily, and Carter at This is the Place Heritage Park. What a fun place it was to visit! The kids learned about pioneer chores, how clothing was made, what a hotel was like, what the schools looked like, and how to do a pioneer dance.






We all packed a lunch and had a fun and yummy picnic next to a really fun playground.
 Lizzie had her first pony ride which she LOVED! Alana was excited to ride a horse named Honey and both Lizzie and Alana spent a good amount of time chasing a chicken and petting it. 


I think the horse Brett rode was named Dale and the one Lizzie rode was named Chip

We rode the train up to a fun area where they had panning for gold and a rubber pit to dig for gems in. Brett thought this part was the best ever! He kept saying he was going to get more gold so he could get rich.





They also had another mini train up there which everyone except for Lily, Brett, and I went on. Brett and Lily just wanted to keep panning for gold =)
After some Brighams donuts we decided to head for home. It was a super fun and full day, and we can't wait to go back! We all came back to our house where we hosted dinner and FHE that night. All the cousins had fun in the basement playing toy story mania on the wii, jumping on the trampoline, and playing with the toys.
Right before everyone went home, Lily and Brielle discovered a baby bird in the window well. He couldn't get enough air to get out so Sean tried with a broom, but ended up using a bucket after all the kids had left or gone to bed. He got out and Sean was pretty certain he wasn't injured.

After dinner we had a fun FHE about Sabbath Day. We played a game called "Not on a Sundae". I printed off tons of different foods and we decided if it would be good on a Sundae or not. Then we talked about how there are lots of things that are good to do (delicious like Tacos) that are not good to do on a Sunday. We talked about how the Holy Ghost is the one who can help each of us decide what would taste best on our Sundae.
On Tuesday morning, the kids and I went down to the Curiosity museum with everyone. They had a lot of fun, but they were all really tired. We opted to skip out on lunch at Chik Fil A and came home for some rest and baths. After Sean got home, we drove back down to Neil and Rebecca's house for tacos.


Lizzie and Estelle had lots of fun going on the slide together. Alana can swing forever!
Alana decided that her new favorite color is purple so she decided to switch the blankets on her bed.
All the Peterson Family was planning to swim on Wednesday and I wasn't really up for that with my two very needy girls in the water. We ended up going to visit BreAnna and Afton to help cheer them through BreAnna's due date. It was a nice visit and a nice relaxing afternoon. The Peterson Crew changed their plans to mall wandering, Tucanos, and bowling, but we decided to just hang at home. Sean signed up to moonlight that night, so the kids and I went down to Mom and Dad P's for some leftover pizza and to see Brielle, Lily, and Carter one last time.

On Thursday morning we went to the Library then came home and had our friends Jack, Will, and Jane over for a quick playdate. It was a lot of fun to see them and they all had an awesome time playing in our big house. Jane and Lizzie did a great job sharing toys.

Sean had the day off on Friday again. We asked Mom and Dad P to babysit while we went to the temple. We have never done a session at the Draper temple before so that was really nice. I was mostly frustrated with myself for being so sleepy and missing most of the film because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I have taken excedrin in the past, but always feel slightly guilty about it. Sean and I had a good conversation in the Celestial room about weakness and how its ok to get help. Its funny how I wouldn't bat an eye when someone else uses caffeine to stay awake but I have somehow decided its not ok for me. I think Heavenly Father would much rather me stay awake and learn during a temple session or not crash my family in the car because of drowsy driving.

After our temple session we headed home to change and have some lunch. We decided to go see the new Incredibles 2 movie in the theater. Papa and Mimi went and picked up Kaden and Lexi before the movie to come join us. The movie was darling! We all really enjoyed it! I was saddened by the profanity, cigarettes, and alcohol in a kids movie. After the movie we went to Neil and Rebecca's for dinner. After some yummy teriyaki meatballs we decided to go get some shaved ice. It was fun to see Eric and Natalie one last time before they flew out the next day!
Alana dressed up as a bride right before dinner =)


Saturday was spent doing all kinds of adulting which was not too fun! We did get a lot done though. We went to my Uncle Steve and Aunt Linda's for dinner to welcome my cousin Colton home from his mission. He has grown taller and broader and definitely just seems older and more confident. We have contributed a little to his mission each month so it was a lot of fun to feel like we were able to help him.
Sunday was Father's Day and Sean was thoroughly spoiled. The girls and I made him biscuits and gravy with eggs, sausage, and orange juice. Then the girls gave him the cutest cards that they made. When Brett woke up all the kids got baths and then Brett gave his card and gifts that he made. It is so fun to see the sweet thoughtful things the kids do. Brett in particular really likes to create gifts lately. He made Sean several paper airplanes and gave him some of the candy from his secret stash. He also gave him a little book he made at the end of school that talked about Sean's likes and dislikes. We all laughed that Brett put that Sean doesn't like loudness and bad behavior.  I gave him some peg boards and accessories to organize his tools in the garage.
We had a nice time at church where Lizzie even stayed in nursery. After church, we made some honey lime enchiladas and had mom and dad Z and mom and dad P over for dinner. It was fun to eat and visit and be silly. My parents gave Sean some new ties and a new tie hanger which he is very excited about! 

In the evening as we were putting the kids to bed, Sean suggested to Alana that she could have a blessing. She has been having a hard time lately and has been getting sad a lot. She has also had a really dry nose that has been itchy so she picks at it and its been bleeding. I was reading Harry Potter to Brett when Sean and the girls came in. Sean needed to consecrate some oil first which was neat for the kids to see. Then he gave Alana a beautiful blessing. I was reminded of the blessing that Sean gave me right before I had Alana. I was so worried that things were going to go wrong and so uncertain. Heavenly Father assured me completely of his love for his darling daughter Alana. He also said that he keeps better track of the kids then I even did (which was saying something back then when I only had Brett to look after). I remember at the time feeling how special Alana is and how she is a choice daughter of a Heavenly King. It was probably the most powerful blessing I have ever had in the way it affected me and helped me to see the Eternal perspective of my children. That same special Spirit was there this past Sunday as Sean laid his hands on Alanas head and told her how much Heavenly Father loves her.  I was telling Sean how neat it is that we just go through life day by day watching our kids grow and seeing them as the 2, 4, and 6 year old that they are, and then sometimes we get a glimpse of who they really are, their eternal identity and Divine Nature. 

1 comment: